What's new

Why do you prefer an iPhone over all other phones.

iTunes is the perfect example of a killer app; you can give it away free and still make money off it because it induces people to buy hardware. I started down this path in 2003 when my place of employment gave me a free iPod shuffle. I downloaded iTunes and started ripping my CD collection. iTunes quickly changed my relationship to my music - I started thinking of it as a collection of songs rather than albums. I love being able to rate songs, attach keywords and comments. I love how easy it is to make playlists (the modern version of the mix tape). I love using smart playlists to mix and match ratings, keywords, song titles, genres, etc. I subscribe to many podcasts through iTunes. Occasionally I even buy an iTunes song.

When my Palm Pilot died and I had to find a new PDA, I bought an iPod Touch. A no-brainer, since it was not only a PDA but an iTunes-compatible music player.

From there it was just an obvious downhill slide to an iPhone. I'm not sure it's a BETTER device than an Android, but it's compatible with all the apps I already own. And, of course, it's compatible with iTunes.

I love my new iPhone 4. The main thing I use it for is still the PDA, but I am currently enthralled with the camera. I'm planning to use it as my trip camera for an upcoming vacation. 5 Megapixels and a quick way to turn the flash off and on is pretty much all I ask of a camera. The additional apps you can download to manage your pictures and turn the camera into a silly toy is just gravy. I still use my iPod shuffle more often for on-the-go music, but I may start using the iPhone to get to Pandora.

The one thing the iPhone isn't good at is being a PHONE. I haven't had any problem with dropped calls, but it's awkward to use and the sound is crappy. But the phone is actually the function I use the least. To me a cell phone is something you carry for emergencies, not something you use every day. Having my phone built in to my all-purpose device is just one less thing I have to carry, recharge, etc.