What's new

Who upgraded from a 5 to 5s? Happy?

antisomnic

Reaction score
I just got a 5s and have a 5. I get 14 days to decide if I like it and I'm having trouble deciding if I like it that much more than the 5. Has anyone made that upgrade and is extremely satisfied? If so, why?

Yes, and I'm happy, but it doesn't take much for me to be happy with my devices... I get hung up on little things that most people don't care about. :)

i'm kinda like that too. thing is my iphone 5 is on a family plan with my dad and sister and i opened an account to get the iphone 5s. it'll cost me a lot more per month to have it. even if i move my other line over and put a dumb phone on it.

So that's, what, $200+ for the phone (assuming you got the 16gb). Then, if you don't pay towards your family plan, you've gotta be paying at least $70+ for the account on your own? Probably more? (I haven't researched individual plans in awhile) So even just over the next year, that phone's going to cost you over $1,000 for some decent-but-not-earth-shattering upgrades. And even if you are paying towards your family plan, I would imagine your new plan is still at least double the cost of the family plan (to you).

I wouldn't say it's worth that, honestly. I was able to sell my 5 and another older device to cover roughly 80% of the cost of the 5S outright (basically the same price as an upgrade). But I wouldn't pay that much more per month for it. It's an improvement, but not THAT big of an improvement. This is going to sound very parent-like (obviously I have no idea how old you are, but assume you're younger than me since you're on a family plan with your dad / sister, which could still be a false assumption!), but take that extra money you can afford each month and throw it into savings or an investment of some sort each month, and don't look at it again for 30 years! :)

you're right. i'm very impulsive with technology. especially apple stuff, lol. i mean i've only had it a day and the only difference that stands out is the fingerprint scanner and it's really not hard to type in a passcode.

you're right. i'm very impulsive with technology. especially apple stuff, lol. i mean i've only had it a day and the only difference that stands out is the fingerprint scanner and it's really not hard to type in a passcode.

And that fingerprint scanner is nice, don't get me wrong! :) But my wife hasn't even noticed I have the 5S, and as a joke I'm waiting to see how long before she notices. :) If you want slow motion video, get the SloPro app - it does 60fps on the 5 and lets you airplay them and upload easily to various services (unlike the 5S's 120fps). The camera is nicer, but not worth the extra costs you're looking at IMHO. Overall it's faster, but the 5 is still super fast and the speed differences are negligible in day to day usage. etc. etc... you get the point. If I was looking at the additional costs you are, I would've stuck with the 5, hands down.

I am very happy! I've had it a week now and really love the colour and design. The fingerprint reader and slow mo camera are particular favourites of mine.

I went from the 5 to the 5S as well. Gave My son My 5.

Best decision I ever made. I love the 5S just for the fingerprint reader alone. Camera and other features are just added bonuses.

That was nice of you to give away your 5.

I also upgraded from the 5 to 5S and I love the finger print feature.. took a while for me to register it but from there its been good

The fingerprint feature is by far the most addictive addition to any phone I've used over the past couple of years (and I've used a lot of phones... :\), simply because of the convenience it adds, let alone the added security. Hopefully they'll add a second layer of security and allow the option to require both the fingerprint reader and PIN at the same time. I wouldn't use that very often, but if I was traveling or somewhere that had a higher risk of loss / theft, I might use it.

The fingerprint feature is by far the most addictive addition to any phone I've used over the past couple of years (and I've used a lot of phones... :\), simply because of the convenience it adds, let alone the added security. Hopefully they'll add a second layer of security and allow the option to require both the fingerprint reader and PIN at the same time. I wouldn't use that very often, but if I was traveling or somewhere that had a higher risk of loss / theft, I might use it.

I have been catching myself trying to unlock my iPad the same way... driving me nuts. If the latest iPads come out with the TouchID, I may upgrade simply for that feature alone.

agreed, im using the finger print all the time

I tried to convince myself but I took a pass. First off I don't have a passcode for the phone. I know I'm taking a risk but there is NOTHING on my phone that is sensitive. All financial apps are opened with a passcode though. Soooo, the finger scanner would not be used except for buying apps. The a7 is nice but there isn't a big difference in app performance with the apps I use. Lastly, I'm happy with the ip5 camera. I will wait for the 6 with 4.8" screen (hoping!!).

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net