What's new

Well, this is interesting

ardchoille

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend and she let it slip that I am getting a laptop for my birthday. My birthday is January 3rd. Now I know why my friends told me to avoid buying gadgets until after January. A laptop, nice. The only gadgets I currently have are an iPhone 4S and an iPad mini.

I'm going to go practice my surprise face.

This might help you......

$image-3573615009.jpg

The Archangel

ardchoille said:
I was talking to a friend and she let it slip that I am getting a laptop for my birthday. My birthday is January 3rd. Now I know why my friends told me to avoid buying gadgets until after January. A laptop, nice. The only gadgets I currently have are an iPhone 4S and an iPad mini.

I'm going to go practice my surprise face.

Lucky you, Ard!

Will this be an apple or windows based laptop?

Lucky you, Ard!

Will this be an apple or windows based laptop?

Well, I'm hoping it's a MacBook. However, if it's Windows-based it won't be for long. The first thing I do on a Windows-based computer is add a second hard drive partition and install Linux. Though I'm not sure that's possible anymore with secure secure boot.

Either way it shows that I have awesome friends - they understand me.

really hope it's a MacBook Ard,fingers crossed for you.

Me too! Thank you :)

It's hard to imagine.. my very own MacBook. Fast, lean, efficient, and oh so beautiful.

Last edited:
I believe he still has 3 days of nail-biting suspense until his birthday. :(
ohhh yes,i didn't look at his original post again and just assumed he was talking about c,mas,must be killing him lol.

I believe he still has 3 days of nail-biting suspense until his birthday. :(

And hair pulling! Gyah, this week is going so slooooow.

ohhh yes,i didn't look at his original post again and just assumed he was talking about c,mas,must be killing him lol.

Excellent way to torture someone; tell them ahead of time that you're getting them an excellent gift.

Well, I had a wonderful birthday.. got a new laptop: Asus X501U

Here are the specs (because, you know, we love specs!)
Processor: AMD Brazos APU Processor
Current Operating System: Linux Mint 14
Previous Operating System: Windows 8 (factory installed)
Chipset: AMD A68M
Memory: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM
Display: 15.6" 16:9 HD (1366x768) LED Backlight
Storage: 2.5" SATA 320GB
Card Reader: 2-in-1 card reader (SD/ MMC)
Camera: 0.3 Mega Pixel web camera
Battery: 6Cells 4400 mAh 47 Whrs
Dimensions: 38.0 x 25.3 x 2.40 ~3.23 cm (WxDxH)
Weight: 1.97 kg (with 6 cell battery)

When I first saw the present I thought "well this is too big to be a laptop", but that's what it was. This thing is huge! The first thing I did was bypass secure boot (took two minutes. not so secure me thinks) and replace Windows 8 with Linux Mint 14. It's fast and smooth with no lag. The screen is big enough to use as a desktop machine but portable enough to take with me.

I love it! I've got the best friends :)

Well, I had a wonderful birthday.. got a new laptop: Asus X501U

Here are the specs (because, you know, we love specs!)
Processor: AMD Brazos APU Processor
Current Operating System: Linux Mint 14
Previous Operating System: Windows 8 (factory installed)
Chipset: AMD A68M
Memory: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM
Display: 15.6" 16:9 HD (1366x768) LED Backlight
Storage: 2.5" SATA 320GB
Card Reader: 2-in-1 card reader (SD/ MMC)
Camera: 0.3 Mega Pixel web camera
Battery: 6Cells 4400 mAh 47 Whrs
Dimensions: 38.0 x 25.3 x 2.40 ~3.23 cm (WxDxH)
Weight: 1.97 kg (with 6 cell battery)

When I first saw the present I thought "well this is too big to be a laptop", but that's what it was. This thing is huge! The first thing I did was bypass secure boot (took two minutes. not so secure me thinks) and replace Windows 8 with Linux Mint 14. It's fast and smooth with no lag. The screen is big enough to use as a desktop machine but portable enough to take with me.

I love it! I've got the best friends :)
thats just great,before i got my MBP both my previous laptops were Asus,the first one was a budget model,the second was a top of the range model,that one is still going strong and used by my son.