What's new

Dropped my 6s on the sidewalk

ardchoille

Reaction score
I was preparing for a run and took my iPhone 6s out of my pouch to set up my running app when.. the phone slipped out of my hand, hit the concrete sidewalk, bounced a couple times and slide on its face for about a foot.

I stood there thinking "well, this is a good excuse to get the iPhone 7". I picked the phone up expecting the worst, but there was not a single scratch on the face. The top of the aluminum housing has a small scratch, though. :(

I'm amazed, considering what just happened, I expected the face of the phone to be shattered and lots of scratches on the housing. What is this thing made of, gorilla glass?

I have owned almost every model iPhone since 2012 and this is the first time I've ever dropped one. iPhones are tough!

My birthday is in January, I'm still going to buy an iPhone 7 :)

I was preparing for a run and took my iPhone 6s out of my pouch to set up my running app when.. the phone slipped out of my hand, hit the concrete sidewalk, bounced a couple times and slide on its face for about a foot.

I stood there thinking "well, this is a good excuse to get the iPhone 7". I picked the phone up expecting the worst, but there was not a single scratch on the face. The top of the aluminum housing has a small scratch, though. :(

I'm amazed, considering what just happened, I expected the face of the phone to be shattered and lots of scratches on the housing. What is this thing made of, gorilla glass?

I have owned almost every model iPhone since 2012 and this is the first time I've ever dropped one. iPhones are tough!

My birthday is in January, I'm still going to buy an iPhone 7 :)
That's amazing when you consider that some people can seemingly break their iPhone screen with much less impact.

I think they are more prone to breaking if they land on a corner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago I had my two weeks old iPhone 5, I was in the car and it was in my lap, I forgot about it and got out the car, A car with big wheels so it was high up, My iPhone bounced onto the carpark and landed on the corner.

The good side of this is that very morning I had put back on the metal bumper I had previously taken off because of the signal. The bumper was damaged but not the iPhone 5.

My daughter dropped her iPhone several times since she received it. No dent, no scratch. It's in a case and has a screen protector.

She still has my very first iPad, an iPad 2 which I got more than 4 years ago. It landed on a corner the first year she used it. There's a dent in the casing since then, but the screen is intact, and she still uses it.

Both my children told me repeatedly that iDevices can withstand more than any other device.

Years ago I had my two weeks old iPhone 5, I was in the car and it was in my lap, I forgot about it and got out the car, A car with big wheels so it was high up, My iPhone bounced onto the carpark and landed on the corner.

The good side of this is that very morning I had put back on the metal bumper I had previously taken off because of the signal. The bumper was damaged but not the iPhone 5.
I remember you posting about that at the time.

My daughter dropped her iPhone several times since she received it. No dent, no scratch. It's in a case and has a screen protector.

She still has my very first iPad, an iPad 2 which I got more than 4 years ago. It landed on a corner the first year she used it. There's a dent in the casing since then, but the screen is intact, and she still uses it.

Both my children told me repeatedly that iDevices can withstand more than any other device.
I believe they can but I never have mine naked, Even my iPads which rarely leave the house are always in a case.

I used a case for a couple months back when I had my iPhone 5, I hated the case.. it just felt weird. You can bet that I will be using cases from this point on. A case on my main phone would have protected the face as it slid across the sidewalk and would have prevented the scratch that now adorns my phone. I'll consider it a battle scar and a lesson learned.

I'd like to drop mine on the sidewalk, from atop the 60th floor....

I'd like to drop mine on the sidewalk, from atop the 60th floor....

There's nothing stopping you from doing that, just make sure you have it insured and nobody is standing under it.
Better still l give you my PO box number.

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.