What's new

Weird 3G Connectivity Issue

shady360

Reaction score
Ok, so I have an iPhone 4S. I have a pretty long commute through some areas that do not have a 3G signal. Here's what I've noticed; if I'm using something that requires 3G service, like iTunes Match, and I drive into one of those non-3G areas obviously I lose my stream. But, if I don't interrupt iTunes Match (with a call, or closing the app, etc.) the 3G connection will not come back on its own even when I drive back into a 3G area. I've tested this with a couple different apps (ie, downloading apps in the App Store, youtube videos, etc). However, if I switch on airplane mode real quick, reset my cellular data in the Network settings, or get a call, ANYTHING that interrupts that data program, then it comes back. Anyone have an explanation and/or fix for this?

When an OS opens a port to communicate on TCP, that basically locks the network adapter until the application releases that port. If the application is poorly written and does not relinquish control of that port after a fault, I am of the opinion the network adapter can stay in that state till the end of time or an outside event clears adapter.

So basically I believe you found a bug in an Apple supplied application. You might want to turn in a bug report so they can look in to it.

I have a similar issue. I live and work in an area that is dominated by verizon. How ever i work with a person who has sprint and coverage is mostly up and down the interstate give or take a few miles. in the building at work i barely get a signal from verizon, i can forget about using 3g cause it just won't work, Outside i have great coverage. the person i work with on sprint and she has changed phone like every year has great coverage inside the building. why should there be that much of i differance and i can't even use my phone in a verizon dominated area?