What's new

iPhone 4 3G switching to 1x

Kevin2500

Reaction score
I'm new to the forums. Let me start off by introducing myself my name is Kevin and I'm having a little issue with my
Verizon iphone 4. My two favorite apps aol radio and slacker will not play anymore on 3G. I've tried everything from
Restoring network settings to airplane mode to reset all settings. While listening to slacker about 5 or 6 songs in the app my 3G switches to 1x mode. It's been a non stop cycle since mid march. I have had the phone since feburary of
Last year. Never dropped it took good care of the phone. I wanna get this 3G issue resolved so I can enjoy aol radio
In the comfort of my home.

Why not get a cheap router and enjoy those apps over wifi at home? Are those the only two apps you're having trouble with? In the not too distant past, Verizon has been updating towers and there have been issues while they do so. Have you tried *228 to update your tower?

Would a plug and play router work. I have a netgear router and it doesn't like my iPhone at all. It kicks me off every
30 seconds. Those two apps never work for me in the morning or afternoons but the evening hours they work.

Not sure why your router would kick you off your iPhone. Try resetting your network settings on your iPhone. Have you tried other devices on your router with no issues? Have friends or relatives had issues getting kicked off? Are you only getting kicked off with those apps? Maybe it's just that you're having issues with those two apps and it's not your 3G or wifi at all.

Uninstall those two apps
Turn phone off and then turn phone on and reinstall those two apps

Is there a way to fix the 1x bug because I'm paying for 3G and I'm not getting the best 3G coverage. I deleted the
slacker radio app along with aol. Reinstalled them and they are ok. I'm also only getting 1x mode in my living room and my bedroom alot. Where's the antenna located on this phone.

My iPhone 4 with Verizon did this same thing and I had to do the * 228 option 2 to update my roaming list you need to try this for it worked for me

I would call Verizon and see if any work is being done on the towers in your area. Maybe the towers are being worked on and keep kicking you to 1xrtt all the time.

If you confirm that it is not the towers, I would try "somehow" to see if you are the only person the gets kicked to 1x when in your area that this happens to you most often, to be sure it's not your phone, but the coverage area. In my apartment, I get a week 3G signal, across town, I ge NO 3G signal and just stay on 1x.

But I found if i turn 3G off, and keep 1xrtt on only, it helps the speed and battery "slightly".

To add insult to injury I'm also getting kicked off wifi every 30 seconds. Is there a fix for that i have a netgear router. My dad will have to call tech support because everything is in his name. My old droid phone never kicked me off 3G I could listen to slacker for hours on end. My iPhone also is showing that I'm not connected to wifi but in reality I am. I have done *228 in the past that doesn't work for me. Is there a hidden number from verizon to get 3G back.

Kevin2500 said:
To add insult to injury I'm also getting kicked off wifi every 30 seconds. Is there a fix for that i have a netgear router. My dad will have to call tech support because everything is in his name. My old droid phone never kicked me off 3G I could listen to slacker for hours on end. My iPhone also is showing that I'm not connected to wifi but in reality I am. I have done *228 in the past that doesn't work for me. Is there a hidden number from verizon to get 3G back.

Perhaps our CDMA radio is defected.

Have you tried to reset your network settings?

Settings> General> Reset> Reset Network Settings.

Your phone will reboot, and you will have to find the wifi network again. Maybe that will help.

Feels like groundhog day in here. Best bet at this point is to get daddy to help you out!

I have a bad feeling that Verizon is limiting my phone because my apps never work in the morning and mid afternoons.
I've done reset network settings thousands of times. The apps I use aol radio and slacker both say high quality streams
over 3G and wifi and I'm not getting 3G at all. This has been going on since mid march. I want my 3G back because
I like to listen to aol radio while I'm at work.

It's not working at work either? Do you have 3G anywhere? Do you have 3G or wifi at other times not using those apps? If you don't have 3G at home, work, shopping, etc.. it is an issue with Verizon and/or the phone and will need to be looked at by Verizon or Apple. If 3G and wifi only goes down while using the apps your talking about...the problem is the app. You never answered my question about whether others in your family have trouble connecting to 3G or wifi? If Verizon is limiting your phone, you would be the first reported.

I hooked up My iPhone to my laptop last night and did a fully clean restore and I listened to slacker through out the
Night until 2am and not a single 3G dropout. And early this morning around 9 am till around 10 listened to slacker again and 1X didn't show up. And it's not pausing by its self anymore. Thanks for all the help guys.