What's new

Weather

I wonder why we say that : it feels like rain ?

We don't say it feels like wind or sunshine, strange

I believe we say that when it becomes more humid, the temperature starts to drop, the slightly wet smell of rain somewhere nearby is carried to our noses by the wind and the sky starts roiling. Somewhere our feeble minds associate these symptoms with rain as they are and have generally been precursors. [emoji15]

Many of the highways in south eastern Saskatchewan are very dangerous right now due to blizzard conditions. Visibility in some cases is near zero. Here's a news photo of the highway near Regina.
IMG_2995.JPG

Last edited:
I wonder why we say that : it feels like rain ?

We don't say it feels like wind or sunshine, strange
I think it is because there is a dampness in the air, which you can sense and also the soil around (if you are out in the open away from a built-up area) actually smells damp. You have to be sensitive to these things though to know when it's going to rain (which it did!). The sunshine and wind don't really give the same warnings.

You put that so well l believe you. But l don't sense it in the air the smell. Maybe l'm not sensitive enough to these things. What l do is look up if it's very cloudy l think to myself, looks like rain. And then the sun comes out.

By contrast, it is incredibly warm here, about 13°, and sunny with just a light breeze. (Sorry Scifan!). It probably won't last though.