What's new

volume button kills the ring tone on incoming call

corystes

Reaction score
This happens with ios 16 and 17 on 2 different iphones 11. Recently, when I get a call the ring tone is a bit faint. If I press the side volume button (up or down) it stops the ring tone, but the call is still waiting to be answered. I'm sure that in the past pressing the volume button has changed the ring volume. Any one else had this problem? If yes, did you solve it and how?

This happens with ios 16 and 17 on 2 different iphones 11. Recently, when I get a call the ring tone is a bit faint. If I press the side volume button (up or down) it stops the ring tone, but the call is still waiting to be answered. I'm sure that in the past pressing the volume button has changed the ring volume. Any one else had this problem? If yes, did you solve it and how?
There are two options in Sounds in settings. One to change with volume buttons and one not to.

Tried that. Makes no difference if it's on or off (even after restarting phone). If the phone's ringing pressing up or down vol. stops it ringing, but caller is still there trying to connect. Annoying.

If you intend to decline an incoming call, press the side button (not the volume buttons) twice quickly.
The volume buttons silence a call, but it‘s still possible to answer it until it goes to voicemail.

So how do you alter the volume of the ringer?

If you enable “Change with Buttons” in Settings - Sounds & Haptics, you can adjust the volume of ringtones and alerts with the volume buttons.