Volume buttons and ringer not working, mute is off

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by Amats, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Amats

Amats New Member

I have been searching for hours without any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have an iPhone 4 that suddenly stopped ringing when someone calls. No sounds for incoming texts now. The keyboard clicks and lock sounds do not work suddenly.

However, the speaker works when listening to the iPod and when calls are placed on speaker. The phone will also ring calls through the headphones. The volume buttons don't work. I can use the slider in sound settings and the phone will play the ringtone, but the side volume buttons have no effect.
    The phone will vibrate when the mute switch is on and a call comes in. When the mute switch is off, no ring, no alerts, etc.

No idea what happened.
    Any clues?

Thanks in advance. Have tried soft reset that does not work.
  2. Justin3rd

Justin3rd New Member

I have the same issue with my phone. I dont understand what happened to it. I am also confused. Has anyone had any luck resolving this issue?
  3. eddieg

eddieg New Member

Try a hard reset.
  4. elitegamer767

elitegamer767 New Member

Still in warranty? Have you purchased apple care?

Sent from my T-Mobile UK iPhone 4S using iPF.net
  5. richmondhillgal

richmondhillgal New Member

I'm having same issue. I tried hard reset, tried reinstalling itunes and attempting to sync. As of now, issue resolved itself but very odd and now my volume is at max and seems like I can barely hear it on speaker. ?? I have not had the best luck sending stuff back in for service so hesitant to do that. Maybe someone else has another idea. Gonna keep an eye on this thread.
  6. Amats

Amats New Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments. Here is my update:
    I pretty much tried everything and nothing seemed to help. I took it to a local shop that fixes iphones and they told me that one of the speakers was broken. They said they could replace it in about 30 min for a cost of $40 dollars. Sounds good to me.

I hope you have better luck!
  7. suelle

suelle New Member

hi all
    im a new member
    i also have aproblem like this
    no ringing n button volume not function
    i went to apple but i did jail break
    so i already void the warranty
    can u help me to solve it
    one more thing
    my hp dont have update software
    suddenly disappear at my setting-> general
  8. NCHornet

NCHornet New Member

I am now having the same problem. It started not ringing on calls randomly, but now I have no ringer on all incoming calls, also no text alerts, or typing sounds. Seems kind of strange this is happening to so many people all of a sudden. I am not convinced it is hardware just yet. Anyone find a solution for this?
  9. xrayeyes

xrayeyes Moderator Staff Member

I know this may sound elementary, but you'd be surprised at how many people miss this.... you don't have the mute switch on by accident do you? It's on the side of the phone.
  10. nootch6969

nootch6969 New Member

I had the same thing happen to me just over a month ago I did a hard reset and that seemed to fix the problem. I called apple when it happened and told them everything I did and they said it sounds like a software problem.
  11. arialblack

arialblack New Member

Same situation here before, solve by hard reset and restore the whole system, till now it works normal.
  12. bennettLkandi

bennettLkandi New Member

Needless to say, I am having this issue as well. I have tried all that has been recommended, and still nothing. I guess I will travel 45 mins to go to an Apple store. Not happy about this in the least! I have not had any problems with it until now. Very sickening, and about to go back to my samsung.
  13. Rlacrossjr

Rlacrossjr New Member

Apple can't tell if you jailbreak if you restore by iTunes. I had mine jailbroke and had a issue. Just backup and restore in iTunes. This removes all jailbreak.
  14. Rlacrossjr

Rlacrossjr New Member

When I jailbroke my iPhone I did have issues like this and even plug in to charge would not charge. Are you all jailbroke? If so remove mobile substrate and that worked for me, was a cydia tweak for me.
  15. Robuo

Robuo New Member

Had a similar problem: volume up button was not working. Tried hard reset, tried getting rid of junky free apps, nothing worked. Then... I tried gently but firmly rapping the corner of the device (protected by an otter box case) against a hard surface with the buttons pointing downward. PROBLEM RESOLVED!!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  16. VidVixen

VidVixen New Member

Robuo- I had the same issue. To describe my individual problem: I had no ringer volume. The phone had sound when sampling alert tones, but there was no indication bar whatsoever when on the home page and no sound for incoming calls and texts. I registered for an account in this forum just so I can let you know that I tried your suggestion just as described, and IT WORKED! Thank you!!
  17. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

Make sure your phone has not connected to a nearby Bluetooth device that is not enabled. Like a Vizio soundbar, etc. I turned my phone off several times before I realized it had connected to this device without Bluetooth selected as the source. Turned off Bluetooth and all is well.