What's new

Using icloud to save photos

dave307

Reaction score
Maybe a silly question to you experts.
But here goes Do I really need to backup my photos to the icloud as the my iPhone has 64gb and ipad as 128gb storage, Also use google to save all photos.
I know that 79pence a month aint much to pay but would it be okay to turn off photos backup to icloud.
What are your thoughts Please.
Many thanks David.

Whichever method you use, it’s always recommended that your photos be backed up; ideally in more than one place. That way a disaster to your iPhone won’t result in the loss of your photos.

Maybe a silly question to you experts.
But here goes Do I really need to backup my photos to the icloud as the my iPhone has 64gb and ipad as 128gb storage, Also use google to save all photos.
I know that 79pence a month aint much to pay but would it be okay to turn off photos backup to icloud.
What are your thoughts Please.
Many thanks David.
iCloud doesn’t backup your photos, it’s syncing them. If you turn off iCloud for your device, it will stop syncing your pictures to other devices.
The images will be part of backups to iCloud, if you disable Photos in iCloud/iCloud services in Photos.

You don’t have to use iCloud. Using Google to save your photos is a good way to store them. There’s always the slight chance that something stops working, though. Maybe you can save them somewhere else as well. Store them on your computer, or an external hard disk drive, e.g., just in case.

Reading your thoughts on my question
If I use google as i'm doing now and make a backup on to my windows laptop on a regular basis thins should be okay.
Just turn off photos backup in icloud.
I can also view my images that's on my phone on my ipad as that is also logged in with my apple ID and password.
That may be the answer?
Many thanks once again.David.:)
Sorry to edit What would be the best way to backup to laptop. Would the apple usb cable do the job?
Thanx.

To explain this a bit more:
Whether or not your photos are backed up to iCloud, depends on your settings in Photos. You can’t enable or disable it somewhere in iCloud - Manage Storage, it happens automatically, once you chose what should happen with your images.

As long as you’re syncing your images via iCloud (iCloud Photo Library or Photo Stream), they are not contained in an iCloud backup.
They will be in a backup, when you disable iCloud Photo Library, or My Photo Stream in Settings - Photos.

Disabling iCloud Photo Library and My Photo Stream will stop syncing your photos between iPad and iPhone. You won’t be able to see the same images on both devices.

iCloud Photo Library will use some of your iCloud storage space, depending on the amount of your photos, and their size.