What's new

Unhappy iPhone user.

AppleClassAct

Reaction score
I was mostly ambivalent to Apple until just yesterday. I even had an iPhone for over a year. Then I made the disastrous decision to upgrade to iOS4. iTunes claimed it was backing up all my data. But as one techie at Apple informed me, "That means nothing". If it ever really did attempt a back up it never checked that the back up was successful. It never warned me that it was about to wipe my drive and I should double check that everything was backed up. Then it proceeded to blissfully wipe my drive without a second thought and then ask if I wanted to restore are set up as a new phone. Needless to say, I wanted my data back. But that was not in the cards. All Apple techies can do is blame the user. Well if you had a back up this would not have have happened. Well if they had warned me like M$ does when it is about to do something this drastic, I would have a good back up now wouldn't I. Apple is always blame the user. I consider this to be blatant reckless negligence. Any one who agrees can follow me on Twitter, AppleClassAct same name on gmail.

You know, when I first read this I thought "Well obviously this guy blew it one way or the other. He either didn't do his backup properly or he didn't follow the right procedure in the restore process, or somehow else got sloppy." Then I got to wondering just how do I know that backups are being performed correctly? Without actually trying a restore, how do I know that it would actually work?

Am I a similar accident waiting to happen? If IOS 5 is released one of these days and I want to upgrade do I have to rely on a backup to get everything back? I'd like to think that the backup and restore process must work 99.99% of the time or else we'd have heard about it by now. What kinds of experiences have others had?

OTOH, I'm curious about the poster's name "AppleClassAct." I don't do Twitter. Does this name mean that the poster is somehow involved in a class action suit against Apple?

Nop. I would have blame you as well, but not really blame you but blame your computer. The device it self is working just fine, but the iTunes install on your computer or your computer it self is the ones having troubles backing up the files in your device.
1- What do u use to back up files on your iphone? A software. Not an iPhone.
2- Where is that software installed? On a computer. Not on a iPhone.
3- who is using the computer to perform the backup? The user. Not the iPhone.
So u see those are basic questions with basic answers. And maybe the iPhone is the one having issues and not functioning well, and if that was the case, iTunes wouldn't recognize your device, or tell you ""iTunes couldn't sync or apply change on the device, the device need to be restore"" I sometimes get that kind of messag from iTunes, then I know something wrong with my phone.
Plus it's really weird that you do not have any any back up on your computer because each time you connect your phone to your computer and open iTunes, iTunes always always perform a fast backup even without notifying you. And there simply is no way iTunes will auto destroy those backup from your computer. Only the computer user is capable of removing those backup files from the computer by maybe formatting and reinstalling the computer system will erase those files and even if installed new iTunes after formatting the computer you will not get those back up anywhere from iTunes. I'm sorry for you losing all your files, I know what it means to lose all contacts and SMS etc... But now you know and you can avoid having these issues in the future.

To AppleClassAct: Don't believe anyone telling you that it's YOUR fault for iTunes messing with you! iTunes is, and has been, a disaster for many users for many reasons. And sure, those who have used it a hundred times will always tell you that it works just fine! But new users to iTunes will always suffer a disaster until they finally master the odd structure of Apple's system.
I've been there, done that, and so have MANY others.
Good luck.