What's new

Unable to restore my iPhone 3GS & also have no carrier signal after downgrading

NotMyName

Reaction score
Basically i'm looking to change carrier & found my iPhone was locked to o2. I found that my "Modem Firmware" is 05.16.05 which according to what i've read means that i can't unlock my iPhone & i would need to downgrade the baseband.

I followed the instructions to downgrade the baseband as listed on iClarified. It didn't seem to work - the "Modem Firmware" number remained 05.16.05. It was late so i went to bed.
I start the day today & go to work & i notice that i don't get an o2 signal at all - even when others i work with do. I've clearly done something bad to my phone.

So tonight i figure i'll just upgrade to 5.1.1 (as i am on 5.0.1). I don't want to upgrade to 6.
So again i download the 5.1.1 restore file from iClarified & follow their instructions to jailbreak the phone for 5.1.1.

I select my iPhone in iTunes & then hit shift while clicking on restore. I select the file 5.1.1 & this is where the problem lays ...... it wont let me restore with this file.

At the top of iTunes, it goes through the process & says it's going to verify to restore & then i get the error:

The iPhone "name" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194).

And that is as far as i get.

Anyone able to help with this as i don't want to try updating to 6.0.