What's new

Thief Tricked by Find my iPhone

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
4388-find-my-iphone-starbucks.JPG

TechCrunch has a great story today about how “Find My iPhone” caught a less-than-intelligent iPhone thief out red handed. TechCrunch reader Nikos Kakavoulis tells how he accidentally left his iPhone in the bathroom of a Starbucks in Athens, Greece. After the barista told him that no one had handed in an iPhone, one of his friends suggested that he use “Find my iPhone”, which he then proceeded to do. Find my iPhone worked like a charm, revealing that the iPhone was still inside Starbucks, but that it was on “Silent”. Nikos then pressed the “Play Sound” button on the iCloud Find my iPhone interface, and the iPhone then started to beep inside Starbucks! Genius! Nikos looked around for the culprit and saw that the beeping noise was coming from a couple two tables away. Now is when the story starts to get really hilarious, as Nikos asked the man at the table if he had seen an iPhone. The man said no, he had n’t, despite the loud beeping noise coming from somewhere about his person! The beeping stopped, then Nikos went back to his table and pressed the Play Sound button again. When the beeping started again, the man finally got up and handed over the phone, saying that he found it on the floor! His wife then chimed in with “You’ve got it back, what’s your problem?” Nikos then called the police, but the couple left, only for the wife to eventually return, saying that she had lost her sunglasses and had anyone found them! Cracking story, and another reminder that Find my iPhone can be a great tool for finding your iPhone or iPad (although TechCrunch ends the article with a couple of cautionary tales of when it didn’t all work out okay in the end).

Source: When “Find My iPhone” Becomes An Adventure | TechCrunch

hahahaha so funny! but they did not realise the beeping was coming from the find my iphone app they thought "ah ill keep it in my pocket and how will he know that its not their phone ringing?"

This is why everyone should have find my iPhone on their iPhone.

iHolophyte
Mine is well setup and ready to be found back incase i lose it. But one must know that the map is seriously cripple here, actually when i try to see my current location in find my phone it thinks that i'm about 200m away from my actual position, something to the map, And that's not all of it, places a missing on the map when focusing on my location. Road that actually exist are nowhere to be found on the map, and some blue buildings on the map which are nowhere to find on the ground. But there is a work around which fix everything the way it suppose to be.

Hahaha lol ;)
I'm so downloading Find My iPhone on mine when I get it!! :iphone4vert:

Mine is well setup and ready to be found back incase i lose it. But one must know that the map is seriously cripple here, actually when i try to see my current location in find my phone it thinks that i'm about 200m away from my actual position, something to the map, And that's not all of it, places a missing on the map when focusing on my location. Road that actually exist are nowhere to be found on the map, and some blue buildings on the map which are nowhere to find on the ground. But there is a work around which fix everything the way it suppose to be.

I find the map works very well on mine. It hasn't once said I'm anywhere other than where I am. Maybe it's a location thing, which works well in the UK

iHolophyte

Hahaha lol ;)
I'm so downloading Find My iPhone on mine when I get it!! :iphone4vert:
if you are on iOS 5+ then find my phone is already in your device, you just need to turn it on in settings> iCloud> find my iPhone ON.

If the thief had turned it off he would have an iPhone now