What's new

Boy Uses Siri to Call For Rescue When Stuck Under a Truck

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Siri saved teen life.JPG
A fantastic story from The Tennessean about how Siri came to the rescue of a young man when he became pinned under his 1998 Black Dodge Dakota truck, which weighs in at around 5,000 pounds.

Eighteen-year-old Sam Ray was working on the truck at his Rutherford County home last month when the jack that was holding up the truck suddenly collapsed. Sam’s left hand was stuck firmly under the truck, but his right hand was free so he was able to bang a tire iron on the truck to try and attract attention.

However, with no one in the house, and the location of the truck away from the road, it was not likely that anyone would hear Sam’s cries for help, so he literally prayed for a miracle, at which point he heard Siri respond from his back pocket.

Sam then tried several times to get Siri to call 911 on his iPhone by pressing his butt into the phone.

When 911 dispatcher Christina Lee answered the call, she thought that it was simply a run-of-the-mill butt dial. “We get a lot of pocket dials, and I thought it was a pocket dial at first, she told The Tennessean. “But then I heard the screams for help.”

The dispatcher was able to triangulate Sam’s cellphone signal to find out his location, and then Sam yelled his full address into the phone to guide his rescuers straight to him.

A volunteer firefighter was able to prop up the truck on a jack until the firefighter team arrived to free Sam, who had been trapped for 40 minutes.

Sam was airlifted to Vanderbilt University Medical Center, where he was treated for broken ribs, a bruised kidney, cuts, concussion, and burns to his left arm, but it could have been so much worse if he hadn’t been found in time.

“I guess I’m stuck with an iPhone for the rest of my life, I owe them that,” said Sam, who had been planning to switch to the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 before the accident.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/08/14/siri-teen-truck-collapse/31746425/

This is great! When I read the title of this, I had assumed maybe the phone was plugged in, and he had activated the "Hey Siri" function. Butt dialing must have been difficult!