What's new

The risks of using "Smart" Phones ---

SadPilgrim

Reaction score
Before I can really embrace smart phones, it seems that we must all come to terms with the hardware and software impositions that they make on us. Perhaps no one else in America is bothered by this, but I am very concerned about the purposeful total loss of privacy that all users must accept to own and use one. I have read the Forum Rules, and am making every effort to politely raise this concern without infracting these rules.

My concern is that, as I had predicted several years ago, both the federal authorities and the major software companies now have total access to activate the phone cameras and record all sounds, even when the devices are not turned on! This is no longer a matter of paranoia or debate, but is now a proven fact. I will not suggest the ways in which this can and is being abused, but leave that to everyone to interpret for themselves. Why don't the manufacturers of these devices at least put the use of these functions within the control of the smart phone owner? To me, it is hard to believe that "1984" has come so soon, and with such little sense of alarm.

The same can be done for "dumbphones" as well. With smartphones, at least plugging a pair of headphones would resolve the eavesdropping issue. The camera issue can be resolved by having a portfolio case or keeping the device in your pocket.

Valid concerns, I am sure.
No one worries about their TV spying on them tho....lol

I'm sure there's still a few old wireless dial pad phones around. Maybe even a few black rotary phones. But I'm not gonna worry about my using an iPhone because of the Feds and their spying on the bad guys. If they wish to spy on me eating my Cheerios, then I hope they enjoy the show.

haha, oic. So, headphones will deactivate any tiny microphone? Are you sure? (One learns not to trust the "official" answer on this). If so, my next problem is now I have to carry headphones around in my pocket, along with the smartphone in a bulky case. I will need bigger pockets.

Well, my new iphone now looks ridiculous, because I have black paper taped over both lenses. I want to eat my Cheerios in PRIVATE, thank you very much.