What's new

Texting while driving?

dbplumb

Reaction score
New Zealand, where all the iPhones are unlocked
Just a reminder before the holiday season about why you should not text while driving
$texting.jpg

I'm dead set against texting while driving. And it's just as dangerous IMHO to be changing music on a phone when driving. I don't have a phone holder in my car and I amaze myself at my own stupidity of attempting to look at my over 25 GB of music looking for an album. The good news is I don't usually play music on my phone when driving.

But all it takes is one time and that's the message here. I've seen in other forums this particular topic become heated battles. Incredibly there seem to be quite a few people who are "special" I guess and don't have any issues with texting and driving.

It's been a couple of years now since I've seen that type of discussion so maybe it's not cool to do it anymore. I hope so.

If you're gonna text, my advice to all the folks out there, pull over first, or get iOS 6 and a headset to see te urgency of the message and decide whether you need to pull over and reply, or you can ignore it for now. It's fine if you want to die, but others have family to go back to and take care of

That picture has NOTHING to do with texting and driving. That accident happened back in my Corvette days. Corvetteforum covered it years ago in the summer of 2005. Driver was doing high speed slaloms, IE dodging traffic at nearly 80 mph, when he tried to use the shoulder for a pass. He didn't realize there was a semi there. If memory serves the driver was 58 years old. Truck driver was not hurt.

That picture has NOTHING to do with texting and driving. That accident happened back in my Corvette days. Corvetteforum covered it years ago in the summer of 2005. Driver was doing high speed slaloms, IE dodging traffic at nearly 80 mph, when he tried to use the shoulder for a pass. He didn't realize there was a semi there. If memory serves the driver was 58 years old. Truck driver was not hurt.

So, that picture had nothing to do with texting while driving. Thank you for that clarification. I guess a lot of people failed to notice the solid single white line in that picture.

Last edited:
Frankly I don't care one way or the other as to the veracity of the photo.
But thank you for the clarification
If I have bought this to the attention of anyone who has not thought through the danger of texting while driving then I have done the right thing.
It was not my intention to deceive

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

If the driver doesn't already know, that picture isn't going to change their mind about doing it. They will simply think it won't happen to them because they are a better driver.

After 6 years of driving and racing Corvettes I have seen guys and girls that have qualified for regional and national level racing licenses wrap their cars around a tree or light pole. They were trained and still thought they were better.

BTW I still see teenagers texting in active school zones even though it is a $250 to $500 fine if caught. Says a lot about the level of stupidity out there.

If I have bought this to the attention of anyone who has not thought through the danger of texting while driving then I have done the right thing.

I couldn't agree more.

One of my neighbors was knocked off her bike and put in hospital by a driver who was texting.

I must say that I am probably the last person to ask about "Texting while Driving". 4 years ago this Wednesday (back then it was Friday the 13th) I was rear ended in my truck by a woman who was so into her texting that she never looked up before she hit me! Her license plate and frame were securely attached to the tow bar on the back of my truck. Her car had to be pulled off of my truck and towed from the intersection.

When I was in school I was waiting at a red light on my way home and a small pickup truck buried itself under the school bus just beside and slightly in front of me. Yes a SCHOOL BUS with all it's back lights flashing (law down there)! The woman driving did have a phone in her hand in front of her face (I was on a motorcycle and paying attention to all traffic around me - so I wasn't rear ended without warning). I believe she was dialing, but may have been texting, no matter as she died on impact regardless. The bus was full of elementary school children on their way home. This is one of those things I wish I could empty from my memories, but it is a lesson for everyone.

That Corvette may not have been on the phone but the result and reason is the same - not aware of whats on the road in front of you and a family in pain.

Use siri and text.. though I tried that and siri could not understand me whenI tried to say my contact name for who to text:/

I do not understand.... XXX

I remember being told to set up your contacts for Siri. It was on one of those Making Siri work for you websites. Can't remember which one though. Sorry.

Please think before texting while driving! Your car will become a weapon. Just saying.