What's new

does an app exist that automatically responds to texts?

njsonja

Reaction score
for example, if someone texts me while i'm driving....something that would be set up that might say, i'll contact you later, i'm driving now

thanks,

sonja

Jailbreak already? There use to be tweaks in cydia to do that, a little google can bring it to light. If you are on a stock iPhone then I have no clue how to get it done.

wish i could even understand what jailbreaking is...and how to do it....what are the ramifications?

Hum... Well jailbreak is a procedure which you use to free the iOS, once the iOS is free (jailbreaked) you will be able to do everything you want with the iOS, lucky for jailbreakers there is cydia store where you can find most of the apps/tweaks apple refuse to implement in the iOS.
So when I asked if you jailbreak or not, I wanted to know if your iOS was capable to handle apps/tweaks from
Cydia. Apparently you aren't jailbreak so I'm out of idea regarding your concern.

i appreciate your explaining this to me....

so....my question is how do you do this? and what happens after you do it if you have a problem with your phone? will verizon void the warranty?

No jailbreak will not void your warranty because you can revert to stock iOS anytime before take your phone to Apple, also apple can not find out if you've jailbreak on not. So basically it doesn't void your warranty. But since you don't know a thing about jailbreak it will take time to explain you all that hassle. What you can quickly do is to watch some YouTube videos about jailbreaking iPhone 4. Also if you feel afraid or not comfortable about it, then just don't go down that road.

i beg to differ. a close friend of mine recently had a problem with his iphone 4. his phone was jailbroken and months later would not boot past the bootlogo screen. he took it to apple because he thougth like the amazing bab2010. they were able to get his phone to boot, realized the jailbreak and voided his warranty.......

for example, if someone texts me while i'm driving....something that would be set up that might say, i'll contact you later, i'm driving now

thanks,

sonja

That certainly would be a nice feature. On my old Motorola Krzr I had a list of "Quick Texts" that I could send, such as "Call me when you can". Or "Will be home soon". Or "I Love You" :)

I found a feature that I didn't know I had that is a bit helpful with quick texting. It may be an iOS5 update. Anyway, go to Settings>General>Keyboard>Shortcuts. It lets you save some quick shortcuts for messages. Example.... I saved "cmw" for "call me when u can".

I think the o/p wants an automatic response as like email holiday messages.

Tbh life's to short, let them wait until you are safely parked because if it's that urgent they will call you, and then you can use your hands free or have your calls divert to vm which is far safer.