What's new

Tethering and Release Date?

WarreNi4

Reaction score
Will Verizon Tethering be free? How do you know?

Now it says current Verizon Customers can order February 3rd - Will it ship once ordered, or the 9th, with overnight shipping?

Thanks!

Will Verizon Tethering be free? How do you know?

Now it says current Verizon Customers can order February 3rd - Will it ship once ordered, or the 9th, with overnight shipping?

Thanks!

From what I have heard, it will ship overnight on February 9th so we would have them the 10th. As far as tethering, we don't know yet. It is said that we we will get the tethering as part of our plan at no additional cost but, and this is a big but, they still haven't announced if our data plan pricing will be different yet. That's going to be the question.

How much do you guys think would be reasonable for data pricing on iPhone 4 being 3G? Hopefully we can keep the $30 unlimited. As the rumor has said they would keep $30 unlimited. That's what I am hoping. Otherwise it's just more money for the same phone that an Android can do (with what I hear Android is more open and you can do more, but I don't care for Android). Just not fair and those who are finding out that the NE2 discounts are going away once you lose your upcoming one, people are going to say bye bye Verizon (since that was what was keeping them--get that additional 30-100 credit off a new phone). If you don't grandfather us for the NE2 program, Verizon, you better think hard for keeping us grandfathered in $30 unlimited like AT&T did to their at the time customers. I honestly don't like the tiered pricing, just never know if you will go over the 2gb or whatever is not limited. I am addicted to my iPod Touch 4gen and prefer that over my Brickberry Storm 1. Soooo I know I would be consuming more data since the Brickberry has like 0 cool apps and the browser blows.

I honestly say it should stay at the $29.99 as well. They may try to jack it up becuase of the mobile hotspot, but I don't consider that valid either, as the Palm phones include the hotspot for free. Wish they would hurry up and say something.

I believe the tethering feature will be additional $20 on top of your $30 data plan. That's the way it is now with a phone that is capable of being a wifi hotspot or straight tethering.

My wife has the HTC Incredible which has the wifi hot spot built into the phone and when I asked the Verizon tech he quoted me the $20 price tag and I'm just assuming the same will be true for the iPhone.

Cya

I dunno, it's weird cuz people are saying Android tethering costs $20 extra, while Palm tethering costs $0 extra... I'm hoping the iPhone goes the $0 route... otherwise I'll just be jailbreaking it for my tethering.

Haha this is so cool typing on iPod touch 4gen. Anyway I was trying to go to vow.com last night a litte before midnight and it said their page was down. They must have changed something. Maybe the new policy for the ne2. I haven't had time this morning to check exactly what had changed but I noticed it still offered 29.99 data so that didn't change IF they were to change something yet. Hopefully we find out this week what their new data prices will be. I don't need to tether so it's whatever to me but to get it free would be something nice they could do. Ok gtg to work now check back later of anyone has seen anything. Sorry for any typos, if any.

Here'e the thing. We aren't going to have the option to pay extra for tethering. Because it is wrapped into the abilities of the phone through iOS 4.3, it's going to be all or none with us. We won't be able to opt out and turn on tethering through jailbreak. Because it is a part of the phone operating system, there will only be one, all inclusive, data charge. I'm with y'all hoping they go the route of the Palm OS and doing it at no cost. I'm personally still a little irritable Palm gets it free and the rest of us have to pay. That's rather stupid.

Here'e the thing. We aren't going to have the option to pay extra for tethering. Because it is wrapped into the abilities of the phone through iOS 4.3, it's going to be all or none with us. We won't be able to opt out and turn on tethering through jailbreak. Because it is a part of the phone operating system, there will only be one, all inclusive, data charge. I'm with y'all hoping they go the route of the Palm OS and doing it at no cost. I'm personally still a little irritable Palm gets it free and the rest of us have to pay. That's rather stupid.

Makes sense. What Verizon will do now though is get that extra money from us by upping the cost for unlimited data......

Makes sense. What Verizon will do now though is get that extra money from us by upping the cost for unlimited data......

That's ultimately what I'm afraid is going to happen. I don't like how they are getting so free with changing their rates for the same thing, but don't have much of a choice. Their service is the best in my area and where I travel. Of course, I think they know how their service tends to be in comparison with the competition.

It's like a double edge sword. You gotta stay with them cause they are good in the area and they just happen to know that so they can do what they please and know that you will stay with them.

So if what you say is true about tethering being built in and no choice then why is it still a choice on the HTC Incredible?
It is built into the phone and once you contact VZW and turn on the feature you then get charged an additional $20 for the wifi hotspot being enabled.

Cya

So if what you say is true about tethering being built in and no choice then why is it still a choice on the HTC Incredible?
It is built into the phone and once you contact VZW and turn on the feature you then get charged an additional $20 for the wifi hotspot being enabled.

Cya

Wifi hotspot is built into the ABILITIES of the Incredible. Not as an intrinsic part of the Android system. It is done through the Wifi Hotspot or Wireless tether. The wifi hotspot with the iPhone is an actual part of the iOS update, 4.3. As in, a part of the actual Apple OS. There is a difference between the two. Apple does have the ability to turn it on or off on all phones, but not independently because it is controlled by the Apple programming itself. They opted to implement it, but haven't announced the overall price yet.

This is not something I am making up. This is something I have been reading about since the announcement of the phone. It won't take much research to find numerous articles regarding the iPhone wifi hotspot. It's there to read.