What's new

Synchronising iPhone with laptop automatically and wirelessly

jmt356

Reaction score
How can I get iCloud to get my iPhone to automatically and wirelessly sync with my laptop whenever I add, edit or delete a:
- playlist on iTunes
- Outlook contact
- Outlook calendar event
- Outlook note

This should help with contacts and calendars:
Get help using Outlook with iCloud for Windows - Apple Support

There's an Outlook Notes app in the App Store. Install it on your iPhone, and it will sync your notes to your iPhone.

To sync your playlists to the iPhone, enable iCloud Music Library in Settings - Music on your iDevice.

Hope that helps.

I have set up iCloud for my Outlook Calendars, Contacts and Tasks, but it has been a disaster. iCloud messed up my Calendars, Contacts and Tasks. Here is what happened:
- After adding iCloud, all of my Outlook Calendars, Contacts and Tasks got deleted. According to iCloud: iCloud Control Panel setup could not upload all items - Apple Support, “During setup, the contacts, calendars, and tasks in your default Outlook Data File are copied from Outlook to iCloud. The original contacts, calendars, and tasks are then moved to your Deleted Items folder to prevent duplicates.” However, my Calendars, Contacts and Tasks are not in my Deleted Items folder; rather, my Delete Items folder is empty. I cannot find my old Contacts, Calendars and Tasks anywhere.
- Copies of my Outlook Calendars, Contacts and Tasks were added under a new “iCloud” item in the tree view on the left in Outlook, but those Calendars, Contacts and Tasks are problematic for several reasons:
o First, I cannot find a significant number of the items I previously had in each of these categories. Is it that they are still being indexed?
o Second, it appears iCloud has randomly decided to sort all of my contacts by Category and I am not sure how to get them to re-display as they were previously, alphabetically.
o The new search function apparently only now works if I put into the search box items that appear in the Full Name. If I type in any text in the Notes, the item does not turn up on the search results.
o Previously, once I typed anything into the search box, Outlook would automatically launch a search. Now, I need to press Enter before anything actually gets searched for.
Is it possible to restore my previous set-up? Unfortunately, I did not back up my .PST before I launched iCloud.

No idea, sorry. If it's possible without backup, it will be complicated, I guess.

It should be possible to move contacts and calendars from iCloud to Outlook on your computer, and then disable or remove iCloud from there.

How can I get iCloud to automatically sync the contacts and calendar items on my computer with the contacts and calendar items on my iPhone? I have made many changes to contacts and calendar items on my computer and expected these to automatically update on my iPhone, but it has been several hours and none of them have updated yet ...

I think the problem is that I had to go into Settings | iCloud on my device and switch Contacts, Calendars and Reminders to on. However, it ha been several minutes since I have done this, yet the Contacts I added in Outlook still are not reflected on my iPhone.

Is the issue that I am making the changes in Outlook rather than via a web browser? According to http://help.apple.com/icloud/#/mmfba7481b, "You can create and edit your contacts by using the Contacts app on iCloud.com from a Mac or Windows web browser. Changes you make are automatically pushed to your iOS devices and computers where you set up iCloud for Contacts."

I actually tried testing this just now by logging on to icloud.com/contacts and then creating a new contact. The new contact was immediately pushed to my Outlook contacts, but it has been nearly 10 minutes and it still has not appeared on my iPhone 6.

I am looking for a solution whereby changes I make in Outlook automatically get pushed to my iPhone, and changes I make in my iPhone automatically get pushed to Outlook. Is this not possible?

Last edited:
J.A.: You wrote above that to “sync your playlists to the iPhone, enable iCloud Music Library in Settings - Music on your iDevice.”
Do you mean that I need to go to Settings | iTunes & App Stores | Automatic Downloads and enable Music? If so, will this only automatically download to my iPhone music that I purchase on iTunes? What I actually want is for my Playlists to automatically synchronize with iTunes whenever I add or remove a song from my playlists on iTunes, including when I add a song that I did not purchase on iTunes.

Enabling Music in Settings - iTunes & App Store will only download new purchases to your iPhone.

Is the only way to synchronise my playlists on iTunes (i.e., songs added, songs removed, the order, etc.) by connecting my iPhone to my computer with a cable?
Note: I am not interested in having songs purchased in iTunes wirelessly download to my iPhone; I am already aware of how to do that.

I see an option in iTunes to "Sync with this phone over Wifi," but this option only appears when my phone is already connected via a wire!

I had my phone connected with my computer, then ticked Sync with this phone over Wifi, but when I disconnected my phone from the cable, the phone disappeared from the iTunes view, thus removing the option to synchronize it.

Wireless synchronizing is now working for me. I think I had to first click "Apply" while the USB cable was still plugged in, per the link that you posted.

Last edited:
Wireless synchronizing is now working for me. I think I had to first click "Apply" while the Ethernet cable was still plugged in, per the link that you posted.
I'm glad you were able to get WiFi syncing to work for you. Thanks for letting us know.

After disconnecting my phone, turning off my computer and turning on my computer again, the iPhone does not show up in iTunes unless I have the cable plugged in, even though both my computer and the phone are connected to the same Wifi. Is wireless synching only good for a single session or can I set it up so that the iPhone always appears in iTunes with the option to sync whenever the iPhone and computer are connected to the same network?