What's new

Someone remotely deleted texts

batcradle2018

Reaction score
hi,
I just went to take screen shots from a text message chain from a man who has been harassing me and he has somehow deleted all of our text message chains from my phone remotely. He 100% for sure has not had physical access to my phone nor has anyone he knows. I googled if this was possible and it basically said no, this isn't possible, but it happened!!!?? I then saw some information about apps you can text through and have the ability to wipe the data from the persons phone you text to. So this is the only thing I can think he might have done??? Is there ANY way to get these messages back? These texts are the only thing I have as evidence against him!

If your iPhone has not been jailbroken and the other person has not had physical access to the iPhone there is no way for him to have deleted anything from your iPhone remotely. Third party texting apps require that both devices have the app installed. There is no app that someone can install on their phone that will give them remote access to your iPhone in the manner you describe.

Do you have a backup of your iPhone that was made before the text messages were lost? If so, restoring from that backup should get those messages back.

I did not know with any certainty, but my instinct was no it is not possible, just as scifan57 said. OP, if someone has been harassing you via texts, you should not be texting him back. Simply file a complaint with your town's police department. I am old. People my age tend to do the practical thing right away. I do not understand why anyone would text back an harasser other than perhaps one time to say do not contact me anymore, or I will report you to the authorities, but what do I know.

Thank you, and yes, that's basically what I've been reading, that this can't happen... but it did!? My iPhone is unlocked, I don't know if that's different than jailbreaking? What if he had access to my phone in the past? Could he have gotten information off of it in the past that would allow him to delete texts now remotely? I'm just in complete disbelief that everyone says this is impossible.

If your iPhone has not been jailbroken and the other person has not had physical access to the iPhone there is no way for him to have deleted anything from your iPhone remotely. Third party texting apps require that both devices have the app installed. There is no app that someone can install on their phone that will give them remote access to your iPhone in the manner you describe.

Do you have a backup of your iPhone that was made before the text messages were lost? If so, restoring from that backup should get those messages back.

You have no idea how much I wish I was stronger in this regard. He is a highly influential powerful man in our town and I have been scared to death to say anything against him because everyone knows and loves him. He's also on the board of directors for the nonprofit I work for. II thought I could just deal with it, "smile and nod" appease his ego so as not to endanger my job, my name around town (small town) etc. for some time I even questioned if it was really going on or if I was just overreacting and blowing things out of proportion. Now I have zero evidence so it's my word against his and no ones going to believe that he did this impossible thing of deleting our text messages. So I will look like a crazy liar if I come forward now.

I did not know with any certainty, but my instinct was no it is not possible, just as scifan57 said. OP, if someone has been harassing you via texts, you should not be texting him back. Simply file a complaint with your town's police department. I am old. People my age tend to do the practical thing right away. I do not understand why anyone would text back an harasser other than perhaps one time to say do not contact me anymore, or I will report you to the authorities, but what do I know.

Were your conversations with him done through iMessage, SMS text message or a third party texting app?

Just the regular text feature on my phone. I'm not sure what it's called. Not a third party app, and I don't think it's considered iMessage. Sorry, I'm really not tech savvy at all... and neither is he so I'm positive he hired someone to do this.

iMessage balloons are blue...

Were the message balloons blue or green?

Just the regular text feature on my phone. I'm not sure what it's called. Not a third party app, and I don't think it's considered iMessage. Sorry, I'm really not tech savvy at all... and neither is he so I'm positive he hired someone to do this.
The app is called “Messages”.
Blue means that he was sending from an Apple device.

I don't have another iDevice with me to test at the moment, but even with my own iPad, I don't think I can delete messages off my iPhone from my iPad, which is signed into same apple account. Even with Apple ID and password, I don't see how it's possible.