What's new

So i read a rumor

jjmcb

Reaction score
So any ideas if this would ever happen. I read a rumor from ,9-5 Mac, not sure if I can mention them. That apple could be considering changing the 3.5 mm headphone jack and making the lighting cable support audio. Also it would make beats audio standard.

I'm almost certain making Beats Audio standard on iDevices will be coming in the future. Not sure how well it would work, though, using the lighning connector for external audio. Wouldn't that, in turn, not allow a device to be charging and have headphones connected?

I thought I read somewhere that the European Union are going to force all phone manufacturers (including Apple) to conform to the same standard for chargers (mini USB). This could be a way of making the lightning port useful when it can no longer be used for charging. Can't see Apple having one charging method for Europe and another for the rest of the world.

I thought I read somewhere that the European Union are going to force all phone manufacturers (including Apple) to conform to the same standard for chargers (mini USB). This could be a way of making the lightning port useful when it can no longer be used for charging. Can't see Apple having one charging method for Europe and another for the rest of the world.
I guess if Apple didn't comply, in turn, they wouldn't be allowed to sell non-compliant products in Europe.

That's the way I read it. I wondered if they might try to justify keeping a different method, reasoning that the port serves more than one purpose.
Sounds about right. Considering Apple invested a lot of time, and most likely quite a bit of $$, into developing the Lightning connector... I could see it being very difficult for them to give up on it that easy.

I'm almost certain making Beats Audio standard on iDevices will be coming in the future. Not sure how well it would work, though, using the lighning connector for external audio. Wouldn't that, in turn, not allow a device to be charging and have headphones connected?

I wouldn't mind if the beats audio was standard on idevices. I'm not a fan of the current speaker. Maybe they'll have a better sound.

You are correct, but it does not become law til 2017. That gives Apple plenty of time to get it changed.

I foresee a booming market in cheap low quality chargers that could end up frying the phone or being an electrical hazard.

I foresee a booming market in cheap low quality chargers that could end up frying the phone or being an electrical hazard.
They exist today. Remember Apple providing chargers to get them out of circulation.