What's new

SIM card malfunction?

I mean it's not expensive, and in bulk, they cost fractions of a penny each to Apple. Not sure why they don't consistently put one in each unit.
yes i totally agree,it's Apples idea to have this way of accessing the sim card so they should always provide the tool,.....i think i've seen them on Amazon though.

It's not even worth the wait to get one online. It's like 50 cents or something or as little as a penny for one, and then there's shipping. Might as well walk to your local office supplies store and borrow a paper clip, open up the tray, and walk back home. But then again, Apple's mentality would be that you wouldn't need to remove your SIM unless you're either exchanging your device in for a replacement one, in which case you'd need to transfer the SIM and the Apple rep would open it for you, or you're switching phones, in which case the carrier rep would open it and swap it for you.

By cheating out the tens of millions of iDevice sales of their paper clip, they saved.... a couple hundred dollars tops? Wows Apple.

I used a smoothed back earring. And did everything I was recommended to do and nothing has happened so far!! It's been great! Thank you!

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

It's not even worth the wait to get one online. It's like 50 cents or something or as little as a penny for one, and then there's shipping. Might as well walk to your local office supplies store and borrow a paper clip, open up the tray, and walk back home. But then again, Apple's mentality would be that you wouldn't need to remove your SIM unless you're either exchanging your device in for a replacement one, in which case you'd need to transfer the SIM and the Apple rep would open it for you, or you're switching phones, in which case the carrier rep would open it and swap it for you.

By cheating out the tens of millions of iDevice sales of their paper clip, they saved.... a couple hundred dollars tops? Wows Apple.
i always buy my iphone outright from Apple so i wonder if thats why i got a tool both times,just a thought.

[FONT=&amp]Locating the SIM Card[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]At the top of the iPhone ([/FONT][FONT=&amp]original[/FONT][FONT=&amp], [/FONT][FONT=&amp]3G[/FONT][FONT=&amp], and [/FONT][FONT=&amp]3GS[/FONT][FONT=&amp]models), between the hold button and the headphone jack is aslot with a tiny hole in it. This is the tray that holds the SIM card.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]On the iPhone 4, the SIM tray is [/FONT][FONT=&amp]on theright side of the phone[/FONT][FONT=&amp].[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Re-Seating the SIMCard[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]To re-seat the SIMcard in its slot, get a paper clip (or, as Apple cheekily calls it, the"SIM card removal tool"), unfold it, and gently push one end into thehole in the SIM card tray. This will pop the tray out of its slot. Push it backin and make sure it's firmly seated.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]After a few seconds(wait up to a minute or two), the warning should disappear and your regularbars and carrier name should re-appear in the top left corner of the iPhone'sscreen.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]If it doesn't, ejectthe SIM again and take it out. Make sure it–-and the slot it sits in--aren'tdirty. If they are, clean them (blowing into them is probably OK, but a shot ofcompressed air is always best) and reinsert the SIM.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Testing for aMalfunctioning SIM Card[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]If this still doesn'tfix the problem, the SIM card could be malfunctioning. One good way to testthis is to try inserting a SIM card from another cell phone (if you've got onehandy) into your iPhone and seeing what happens. If the No SIM warningdisappears from the top left corner and signal bars reappear, then your iPhoneSIM is broken.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]If trying another SIMalso doesn't solve the problem, it's likely that you've got a problem that youprobably can't fix and it's time for a trip to your closest Apple Store or acall to tech support
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. I haven't had the issue since I removed and reinstalled the SIM card. All has been well! Thank you again! Case closed!

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner