What's new

SIM card malfunction?

IphoneMommy

Reaction score
So this morning on and off I have to reset my phone because my iPhone 5 states it has no SIM card? Before I make my appt for the Genius Bar I figured I'd see if any of you have advice? I am no longer JB and have been on the most recent update of iOS.

When I perform the reset it functions fine until it happens again. Since 5:30am it's happened 3 times?

Thanks!

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

Make that 4 times.

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

Power off your iPhone, remove the sim card, power up then power back down when it's fully restarted. Reinsert your sim card then power back up. If this does not resolve the issue swing by a Verizon Corp. store & have them replace your sim card.

How do you remove the SIM card?

iPhoneMommy

using the little sim tool open the little draw on the side of the phone.

And if it didn't come with a "sim tool" (youtube or Google it) then you can use a SMALL paper clip.

By no means should you use a letter opener!!! FYI...

TBH I don't think a letter opener would fit o_O Not even the slit types. First thing I think of when you said letter opener and thought "how's that going to fit...."

letter-knife-grape-handle-pewter-248-L1.jpg

TBH I don't think a letter opener would fit o_O Not even the slit types. First thing I think of when you said letter opener and thought "how's that going to fit...."

letter-knife-grape-handle-pewter-248-L1.jpg

That's what I thought too LoL. I was worried he questioned my mentality for a moment LoL

iPhoneMommy

that's a little joke,a member actually did try to open the sim tray with a letter opener,needless to say it wasn't a good idea.

that's a little joke,a member actually did try to open the sim tray with a letter opener,needless to say it wasn't a good idea.

That's just wrong!! 😣

iPhoneMommy

I don't even know what to say to that.... LOL. But nonetheless, a paper clip will work. A SIM tool hasn't been included in the iPhone packaging since the 3GS, so you'll either have to buy one or use a paper clip. Overall the result is the same, just that the SIM tool has a specific depth so that you don't "overpush" the eject button on the inside. Just don't forcefully jam an entire paper clip into the slot, just push it in with just enough pressure that you can feel or see the SIM tray eject.

funny thing about the sim tool,some get one and some don't,i got one with my 4s and with my 5.

I mean it's not expensive, and in bulk, they cost fractions of a penny each to Apple. Not sure why they don't consistently put one in each unit.