What's new

Restore question

gibbomufc

Reaction score
My iPhone is jail broken and is starting to play up, so I'm thinking of doing a restore via iTunes.

My question is if I restore will it update my iPhone to 6.1.3 or is there a option to restore from a backup I need a couple of months ago.

Sorry to ask, never done a iTunes restore before.

Thanks

Before restoring (or even on a regular basis), you would create a backup of your device prior to restoring so that you won't have to start from scratch all over again. On a regular basis, especially if you have constant changes to your device like new photos or videos every week or day, it's recommended that you create a backup anyways even if you're not planning to or have no plans of restoring any time soon, this is just there as a just-in-case or God-forbid situation.

When restoring your device, (especially jailbroken devices), you'll need to DFU the device to make sure that any current constraints are bypassed so that iTunes can install a fresh copy of iOS onto it. For Evasi0n jailbroken devices, a regular restore won't work, nor does OTA update work because of a built-in mechanism from the jailbreak that prevents it, therefore, you'll need DFU mode to do so.

And do note that iOS 6.1.3 does NOT have an untethered jailbreak unless you're on the old bootrom 3GS. The new bootrom 3GS and the iPhone 4 does have a tethered jailbreak, but the 4S and 5 has no jailbreak whatsoever, so do keep that mind

Last edited:
I know how to get my phone into dfu mode. My question is when I connect it to iTunes will I have the option to restore from a old backup and unjailbreak my iPhone, and keep it on 6.1.2 so I can re jailbreak it from fresh?

The only time you can restore back to any iOS of your choice outside of the latest iOS is if your device is NOT an iPhone 4S or 5, AND you have SHSH blobs for that iOS. For iOS 6, you must have your iOS 6.1.2 saved using RedSn0w, TinyUmbrella, or other utilities during e time when iOS 6.1.2 was being signed. Otherwise, your only option is to 6.1.3

Even if I haven't downloaded the latest update from iTunes?

Could you give me some advice, how I can try to sort the problem I'm having? It's that my screen sometimes becomes unresponsive sometimes, and the input lags, keyboard randomly exits when trying to type a message or just by pressing the delete button.

It's starting to get annoying

It doesn't matter whether or not you downloaded the update on iTunes etc. It's all about what Apple is doing and nothing to do with what the users are doing.

I'd check out your tweaks and apps that you've installed for compatibility issues because that is the leading cause of problems when jailbreaking.

Would it be safe to delete everything from my packages and start again?

Not "all" packages. There are a few packages that're pretty crucial to prevent your device from breaking down on you. Double check the tweak/app as well as the version number with this list here and delete the ones that are incompatible. Or if you remember the app or tweak that you've installed prior to the sluggish device, then try removing that as well as those after it.