What's new

Restore back to 4.2.8???????

TMC101

Reaction score
So Im running the 5.0 beta on my iphone 4 and i have the itunes 10 downloaded. Does anyone know how i can go back to 4.2.8??? It would help me out a lot. i like the 5.0 but it may be causing problems with my service.

You should be able to restore normally. Apple are still signing 4.2.8 for those not running beta software so no SHSH's should be required...

thank you, i tried to restore back to the 4.2.8 but i just stuck o the apple boot up sign when i tried it. any suggestions on what to do???

Well you could try downgrading using our SHSH's as you normally would if you wished to downgrade.

Sorry I can't help you much with betas. I'm not a Dev. If your a registered Dev with apple then check out the Dev forums. You will get much more help in there...

Its very easy to restore back to 4.2.8... I have done it many times myself... Now... Idk of ur using iTunes 10.5 beta 1 cause that's the one I'm using but I will assume that this process works the iTunes version u r running:

1) put ur phone in DFU/restore mode... Do this by holding the power button and the home button at the same time for ten seconds... After ten seconds release the power button but keep holding the home button... Make sure u have iTunes Iowa while doing this...

2) iTunes will say something along the lines of "an iPhone has been found in recovery mode... Would u like to restore?" click restore or yes or something lol... I can't remember exactly wat it says...

3) make sure that ur 4.2.8 restore ipsw file is on ur desktop (I choose to put it there for easier access)...

4) hold shift on ur keyboard and click restore on iTunes... This will give u the option of looking up the ipsw file and since its on ur desktop u should find it easily!!!

5) select the file and let iTunes do the rest...

It's worked for me several times... Of ur having trouble shoot me a message and u will try to further assist u... :) hope this helps...

Its very easy to restore back to 4.2.8... I have done it many times myself... Now... Idk of ur using iTunes 10.5 beta 1 cause that's the one I'm using but I will assume that this process works the iTunes version u r running:

1) put ur phone in DFU/restore mode... Do this by holding the power button and the home button at the same time for ten seconds... After ten seconds release the power button but keep holding the home button... Make sure u have iTunes Iowa while doing this...

2) iTunes will say something along the lines of "an iPhone has been found in recovery mode... Would u like to restore?" click restore or yes or something lol... I can't remember exactly wat it says...

3) make sure that ur 4.2.8 restore ipsw file is on ur desktop (I choose to put it there for easier access)...

4) hold shift on ur keyboard and click restore on iTunes... This will give u the option of looking up the ipsw file and since its on ur desktop u should find it easily!!!

5) select the file and let iTunes do the rest...

It's worked for me several times... Of ur having trouble shoot me a message and u will try to further assist u... :) hope this helps...

I have DL'ed the 4.2.8 zip file but when I do what you just described and go through the folders to find the ipsw file, there is nothing. I open the folders and then I get to the part where it says there is no file that matches...any help?

I have DL'ed the 4.2.8 zip file but when I do what you just described and go through the folders to find the ipsw file, there is nothing. I open the folders and then I get to the part where it says there is no file that matches...any help?

Is the IPSW file which you downloaded from internet in a zip file? When you make a right click on the file then properties, what is the extension of the file? .zip or .ipsw???

bab2010 said:
Is the IPSW file which you downloaded from internet in a zip file? When you make a right click on the file then properties, what is the extension of the file? .zip or .ipsw???

.zip file...

bab2010 said:

.zip file...

So why don't you unzip it till you get the IPSW file from the zip file? RedSnow recognize IPSW files, not zip files.

bab2010 said:
So why don't you unzip it till you get the IPSW file from the zip file? RedSnow recognize IPSW files, not zip files.

Believe me I have unzipped it and there is still nothing that redsnow or tinyumbrella recognizes...

bab2010 said:

Believe me I have unzipped it and there is still nothing that redsnow or tinyumbrella recognizes...

Then change the extention from .zip to .ipsw

bab2010 said:
Then change the extention from .zip to .ipsw

How do I do that?

Enable showing extensions of files on your computer, then rename the suppose file which you downloaded and came in zip. Rename it from xxxx.zip to xxxx.ipsw

I did it and I thought it worked because it said it was jailbreaking and all that stuff but now it is stuck at logo after I got an error message (3194)...