What's new

ios5 Help PLEEEAAAASE!!!

TMC101

Reaction score
so i just installed the ios 5 without installing itunes 10.5. and so basically none of my information is on the iphone. when i try to download itunes 10.5 it starts the download then says i need to close the following applications, but when i quit the installer the download fails. either i want to download itunes 10.5 to get all my information back or i would like to go back to 4.2.8 can someone pleeeeassse help me? i know im an idiot. i would prefer to just go back to 4.2.8 if possible. Thank you so much!

- Well i got it to finally download the itunes 10.5 so i guess the question is, now that i have this version of itunes. is it possible AT ALL to go back to my 4.2.8 firmware on my iphone??? thank you!!!

Last edited:
people rush into installing bets firmwares thinking there wil be no problems and of course there will be, its why its a beta :) hardly anything works especially in beta one.... hen apple release a GM thats basically what they release to the public so you know by then it will be very stable and everything working properly..

if you saved your 4.2.8 shsh blobs you will be able to downgrade

Its very easy to restore back to 4.2.8... I have done it many times myself... Now... Idk of ur using iTunes 10.5 beta 1 cause that's the one I'm using but I will assume that this process works the iTunes version u r running:

1) put ur phone in DFU/restore mode... Do this by holding the power button and the home button at the same time for ten seconds... After ten seconds release the power button but keep holding the home button... Make sure u have iTunes Iowa while doing this...

2) iTunes will say something along the lines of "an iPhone has been found in recovery mode... Would u like to restore?" click restore or yes or something lol... I can't remember exactly wat it says...

3) make sure that ur 4.2.8 restore ipsw file is on ur desktop (I choose to put it there for easier access)...

4) hold shift on ur keyboard and click restore on iTunes... This will give u the option of looking up the ipsw file and since its on ur desktop u should find it easily!!!

5) select the file and let iTunes do the rest...

It's worked for me several times... Of ur having trouble shoot me a message and u will try to further assist u... :) hope this helps... Btw... I did this without using the SHSH blobs because apple is still signing the 4.2.8 restores... :)

This is the main reason we do not support users with beta software We will do what we can however it is a lesson to others Beta is that Pre released ok unless you know what you are doing or you are associated with a developer don't install it ok

Last edited:
Col.bris said:
This is the main reason we do not support users with beta software We will do what we can however it is a lesson to others Beta is that Pre released ok unless you know what you are doing or you are associated with a developer don't install it ok

I agree with u man completely... I'm very closely associated with a developer and that's how i learned how to go back and forth between iOS 5 and 4.2.8... He said to use the SHSH blobs and I did but then figured out that apple is still signing the 4.2.8 restore file... So there was no problem there...

Agreed. No SHSH required for going back to 4.3.3 or 4.2.8 quite yet. A simple restore to should to the trick...