What's new

Remote auto recharge

ajaye01

Reaction score
Dear iPhone geeks,
I own a valuable classic car and thought it would be a good idea to hide an old iPhone 4S in the car connected to a large capacity external battery so in the event that it was stolen I could use the "find my phone" app to track its whereabouts.
Problem is... once the phone gets to 100% it stops drawing charge from the battery and starts to discharge (as expected) BUT it does not re-draw charge without manual intervention.
I can track the battery status using the "find my phone" app and I have tried calling and SMSing the phone to initiate drawing the charge but without luck.
If I press the "home" button it immediately starts recharging but this means accessing the phone (which is hidden in the car under a cover) every couple of weeks.
So, does anyone have a method to remotely initiate recharging.
Thanks in advance....Anthony.

This sounds like a great idea l'm watching for answers to your problem also. I will post it in my car forum also

I posted this in my car forum sadly there is a problem with it today, not the first time however.
I did manage to read the first 2 lines of one reply and a guy suggested a tracker with a SIM card in it. Don't know much about these things but it might be something for you to explore. I will post again when the forum is up and running.

Forum back up and running. Another idea quite simple really, one of those chargers that plug into the lighter socket. You could do it from the back, so it would not be seen.
Hope that lot has helped a little.

Thanks for your interest brixton boy.

I did actually have one of those trackers before but found that it drew a huge ammount from my car battery resulting in a number of flat battery situations. :eek:

Attaching the phone to the lighter socket is a good idea but I see no reason why it won't result in exactly the same problem..i.e. the phone will charge to 100% then slowly discharge.

Maybe give it a shot and see what happens. No need to wire it up hidden just for a test. Maybe you could do it in your normal car.
Let the iPhone run down say to 5% or nil plug it in just a trial. Let us know man l have 2 spare iPhones and a baby car.
09762dc76592bb57a308d32cc7991235.jpg