What's new

Newbie questions about iPhone 4S

kenny1999

Reaction score
Hi everybody, brief introduction. I am a complete newbie about iPhone (and smartphone as well) I've used my iPhone for a week and would like to ask some questions about it.

1. How to disable the SIM card (without turning the phone off and taking it out) ? I usually travel abroad and I'm worried about the possibly high roaming data fee.

2. As I enter any pre-installed programs (e.g. setting / Calender / Notes ) or any other Apps downloaded by myself. I find that there are no usually options of "exit" ( or "quit") choices inside the Apps. I can only get out of the Apps by pressing the HOME button. Is it the right way to exit a program? Are they still running in the background? Will it consume much battery if I don't always exit the program by pressing the HOME key twice to close the Apps (It's very troublesome)

3. If I don't exit the "Camera" program completely, will the flash light and/or the camera lens etc be still running in the background? You know, they are sensitive hardware I don't want to let them aging very quickly.

4. What is the difference between a new iPhone and a refurbished one by Apple? Is the hardware inside a refurbished one new ? or they used or old?

5. Does an iPhone have Anti-virus? Such thing like an computer? I've got lots of important contacts and messages commercial and confidential details to be saved on an iPhone. If I have key locked the iPhone but have it got stolen, will people be able to crack and get the data.
How to protect my data more wisely when using an iPhone?

6. People say iOS 6 consumes more battery compared to the earlier version. My iPhone 4S is now in iOS6 version. Can I downgrade to earlier version? If it can't, is there any simple tips to use battery more wisely ? I don't want to further invest on any external battery sorry

Thanks you everyone

Last edited:
If you're traveling and don't want to be hit with data roaming charges, you don't have to disable the SIM card, you just have to go to Settings>General>Cellular and turn off data roaming.

$image-713095864.jpg

$image-1969787810.jpg

$image-343967600.jpgIf you also turn off cellular data and enable 3G, you'll turn your iPhone into an expensive iPod which will incur no extra charges while being used In a foreign country.

iPhones don't need anti virus programs, in fact there are none, there are no known viruses that can infect a stock iPad.

Refurbished iPhones have a mixture of new and used parts inside, but look and function just as well as a brand new iPhone.

The camera consumes no power unless it's actually being used.

Last edited:
If you're traveling and don't want to be hit with data roaming charges, you don't have to disable the SIM card, you just have to go to Settings>General>Cellular and turn off data roaming.

View attachment 9276

View attachment 9277

View attachment 9280If you also turn off cellular data and enable 3G, you'll turn your iPhone into an expensive iPod which will incur no extra charges while being used In a foreign country.

iPhones don't need anti virus programs, in fact there are none, there are no known viruses that can infect a stock iPad.

Refurbished iPhones have a mixture of new and used parts inside, but look and function just as well as a brand new iPhone.

The camera consumes no power unless it's actually being used.

hi how about the camera hardware itself? I think it's a sensitive hardware that can go aging easily. Is it necessary to completely get away from the camera if not used. Thnaks

Hi everybody, brief introduction. I am a complete newbie about iPhone (and smartphone as well) I've used my iPhone for a week and would like to ask some questions about it.

1. How to disable the SIM card (without turning the phone off and taking it out) ? I usually travel abroad and I'm worried about the possibly high roaming data fee.

2. As I enter any pre-installed programs (e.g. setting / Calender / Notes ) or any other Apps downloaded by myself. I find that there are no usually options of "exit" ( or "quit") choices inside the Apps. I can only get out of the Apps by pressing the HOME button. Is it the right way to exit a program? Are they still running in the background? Will it consume much battery if I don't always exit the program by pressing the HOME key twice to close the Apps (It's very troublesome)

3. If I don't exit the "Camera" program completely, will the flash light and/or the camera lens etc be still running in the background? You know, they are sensitive hardware I don't want to let them aging very quickly.

4. What is the difference between a new iPhone and a refurbished one by Apple? Is the hardware inside a refurbished one new ? or they used or old?

5. Does an iPhone have Anti-virus? Such thing like an computer? I've got lots of important contacts and messages commercial and confidential details to be saved on an iPhone. If I have key locked the iPhone but have it got stolen, will people be able to crack and get the data.
How to protect my data more wisely when using an iPhone?

6. People say iOS 6 consumes more battery compared to the earlier version. My iPhone 4S is now in iOS6 version. Can I downgrade to earlier version? If it can't, is there any simple tips to use battery more wisely ? I don't want to further invest on any external battery sorry

Thanks you everyone

1) Airplane mode. You can turn on WiFi while in this mode.

2) Yes, No (unless it is music, gps or some other streaming app. You will know when meets that condition), consumes no extra battery when you exit the app using the home button unless it is a music, gps or other streaming app that you have told to stay on.

3) When you hit home on a camera app you have left the app and it disables the CCD. CCDs are not prone to anything but a magnesium flare or direct sunlight that is focused by a magnify glass. Modern CCDs do not age.

4) New has never been used after manufacturing, refurbished has been used and goes thru an inspection process that replaces any components that don't meet certification.

5) No, No, Yes, Lock it and use Find My iPhone to remote wipe it if you lose positive control.

6) People say the world used to be flat but that doesn't mean they have a clue to what they are talking about. No, Yes don't play games.

1) Airplane mode. You can turn on WiFi while in this mode.

2) Yes, No (unless it is music, gps or some other streaming app. You will know when meets that condition), consumes no extra battery when you exit the app using the home button unless it is a music, gps or other streaming app that you have told to stay on.

3) When you hit home on a camera app you have left the app and it disables the CCD. CCDs are not prone to anything but a magnesium flare or direct sunlight that is focused by a magnify glass. Modern CCDs do not age.

4) New has never been used after manufacturing, refurbished has been used and goes thru an inspection process that replaces any components that don't meet certification.

5) No, No, Yes, Lock it and use Find My iPhone to remote wipe it if you lose positive control.

6) People say the world used to be flat but that doesn't mean they have a clue to what they are talking about. No, Yes don't play games.

hi with regards to point 3. Some poeple say laser can kill the camera of iphone 4s. I am worried. Do I need to pay atttention to the environment to see if there are any laser spots? I've also taken some photos at the weekend's party where there was lots of red laser shooting around...has my camera got damaged in some ways?

hi with regards to point 3. Some poeple say laser can kill the camera of iphone 4s. I am worried. Do I need to pay atttention to the environment to see if there are any laser spots? I've also taken some photos at the weekend's party where there was lots of red laser shooting around...has my camera got damaged in some ways?

The type of laser that would damage a CCD would also damage the lens system, your eyes and everything in its path.

The red "lasers" you saw were from cameras (probably Sony) doing range finding for auto focus. Those "lasers" couldn't hurt a babies eyes, which are 1000s of times more sensitive than any CCD used in a cell phone to date.

You have a better chance of your phone being stolen, the passcode being cracked by brute force and you not taking the 30 seconds it would take to wipe your phone then to have your camera damaged by a laser.

The type of laser that would damage a CCD would also damage the lens system, your eyes and everything in its path.

The red "lasers" you saw were from cameras (probably Sony) doing range finding for auto focus. Those "lasers" couldn't hurt a babies eyes, which are 1000s of times more sensitive than any CCD used in a cell phone to date.

You have a better chance of your phone being stolen, the passcode being cracked by brute force and you not taking the 30 seconds it would take to wipe your phone then to have your camera damaged by a laser.

Excuse me, would you please rewrite this statement in red? I am actually not speaking English at all and my English is actually not really good enough. I don't understand what you mean for the red part. Thanks you

Regarding the battery life of iOS 6.0.1. I have owned my iPhone 4S for a few months and my battery life is around 3 days with moderate use. As long as the battery lasts for at least 24 hours then you're ok, you have to sleep every 24 hours anyway so you might as well recharge the iPhone.

Regarding the battery life of iOS 6.0.1. I have owned my iPhone 4S for a few months and my battery life is around 3 days with moderate use. As long as the battery lasts for at least 24 hours then you're ok, you have to sleep every 24 hours anyway so you might as well recharge the iPhone.

oh my God. I've got a new iPhone 4S only a few days and the battery life is less than 24 hours!! Should I ask for an exchange of a new one?

I think I am less than a "moderate" use. I never (yes, Never!) watch video , listen to music or browse a webpage. I only give 2-3 commands to Siri for a day. I only use QQ / WeiXin (something like ICQ) and I've blocked all Automatic photo download. Once again, my battery is less than 24 hours a day under such use. And actual time of using such phone is less than 2 hours a day. Oh my God. How can you use your battery for 3 days. Was there any problems with my "first-time" charging that leads to such a problem. Those people said the battery will remember the status of my first charging, but I was not quite sure about what they were saying.

Please help with the battery. I am very unsatisfied with the battery life.

kenny1999 said:
oh my God. I've got a new iPhone 4S only a few days and the battery life is less than 24 hours!! Should I ask for an exchange of a new one?

I think I am less than a "moderate" use. I never (yes, Never!) watch video , listen to music or browse a webpage. I only give 2-3 commands to Siri for a day. I only use QQ / WeiXin (something like ICQ) and I've blocked all Automatic photo download. Once again, my battery is less than 24 hours a day under such use. And actual time of using such phone is less than 2 hours a day. Oh my God. How can you use your battery for 3 days. Was there any problems with my "first-time" charging that leads to such a problem. Those people said the battery will remember the status of my first charging, but I was not quite sure about what they were saying.

Don't panic yet, these batteries get better over time, at least that's what I've seen. Give it time and I'm sure your battery life will increase.

As ardchoille so wisely said, "Don't panic".

1) The iPhone is a computer. It has an Operating System. It learns over time based on your usage.

2) A weak cellular signal will eat a battery no matter what tricks you throw at it.

3) A weak WiFi signal will eat a battery no matter what tricks you throw at it.

4) Setting the screen to max brightness will eat a battery no matter what tricks you throw at it.

So you have to look at ALL the variables that are in play to determine what is going on. I have spent 3 years looking at the ins and outs of Android and iOS. Even with as much data as I have collected, I can't even tell you what will happen because there are simply too many variables in play.

Excuse me, would you please rewrite this statement in red? I am actually not speaking English at all and my English is actually not really good enough. I don't understand what you mean for the red part. Thanks you

I will paraphrase.

Your phone has a better chance of being hit by lightning before a laser destroys the camera.

If anything, get an external battery case to go along with your current case (if you have one). Most cases will hold about 1 full charge cycle, some will hold more, some will hold less depending on the capacity. It is an investment buy one well worth the price if you're using it constantly like I'm using my Mophie Juice Packs