What's new

Question about iPhone Syncing and Updating

crusher25

Reaction score
What will happen if I force (end process method in Task Manager) iTunes to exit when it is syncing? Will it give me any problems to my iPhone 4S? I first plugged in my iPhone 4S to my laptop but my laptop is not with me now and I'm using my PC to update my iPhone 4S but every time I try to press the eject button in iTunes to remove my iPhone 4S, it always syncs then it's taking too long. How long does a regular sync takes?

Also, I'm planning to update my iPhone 4S. I'm going to download the update using the link here: http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-22984/ Will it be just the same as updating through download from iTunes? No difference at all?

Last edited:
I have many times press force quit and because with the mac you have to clear the cache of iphoto before it will sync, if you have selected to sync from iphoto

or if you are trying to sync over a wifi connection and have downloaded a few apps from the app store then that is why it is taking for ever... plug the iphone in with the usb for larger backups and it finishes in no time at all.

btw those links are official ones that itunes uses to download the firmware but using that method means that you download the whole 800mb of file, if there is a firmware update you can update the firmware over the air and it will only download whats new in the firmware so usually around 200mb instead of 800 and takes much less time to update, if its a restore then you have to plug in and use itunes

I have many times press force quit and because with the mac you have to clear the cache of iphoto before it will sync, if you have selected to sync from iphoto

or if you are trying to sync over a wifi connection and have downloaded a few apps from the app store then that is why it is taking for ever... plug the iphone in with the usb for larger backups and it finishes in no time at all.

btw those links are official ones that itunes uses to download the firmware but using that method means that you download the whole 800mb of file, if there is a firmware update you can update the firmware over the air and it will only download whats new in the firmware so usually around 200mb instead of 800 and takes much less time to update, if its a restore then you have to plug in and use itunes

Even if I update through iTunes, it still downloads the 800 mb file so I just downloaded the whole file and I'm going to update it. Will it delete all my stuff?

Also, when I try to transfer music from my PC, it says that I need to delete everything since my iPhone was synced to another iTunes library. I already did the Transfer Purchases thing.

yes through itunes or using the link is the same thing because the link is what itunes uses...

but using air updates in the settings on ios 5 will download only whats new in the firmware

yes through itunes or using the link is the same thing because the link is what itunes uses...

but using air updates in the settings on ios 5 will download only whats new in the firmware

If I update through air, will it delete my files?

no.. it does an update, not a restore so your springboard will be the same how it is now