What's new

Need help updating my Iphone4

PawJuneau

Reaction score
I want to update my Iphone4 with the new IOS 7.0.3 update but I don't have Wi-Fi. I was told that I would need to backup my phone via I-Tunes 1st but when I tried to click on back up, it's all greyed out and I'm unable to do it. I was also told to go to a place that has free wi-fi, did that, still won't work. I've tried using I-Cloud but again, no luck. Can't get help via my carrier & can't get help via Apple either unless I pay for it. Getting very frustrated, please help! Thanks!

Sorry, I may have also posted the same thing in the wrong place.

It's best to do the back up through the charging cord IMHO. You don't need wifi. Did you "authorize" your computer?

But, a word of advice...find someone with iOS7 on their iPhone 4 and take a look, or do some reading first. It is not "optimal" for that phone. I did it and regret it..although I have now upgraded to a 5s. It was slow and sluggish.

Yes, I think I did authorize my computer but I can go back & make sure. My stepson has the new update on his Iphone4s & he seems to like it. But I will take your advise & read up on it & will see if he'll let me check out some of the features 1st. Thanks for your help!

Hmmm! Well, sounds like I just might be better off not doing the update at all on this phone. I appreciate your help with this. And if I have to go through this much trouble just to do what's suppose to be a "simple update", then it may not be worth it.

Thanks again for y'alls help!

You can install it and it will work. Most things will run fine, but I just found it to be sluggish. As far as a backup...you should do that anyway! I back my phone up about once a month. If your phone is ever lost, stolen, dies, or you get an upgrade...you will need a back up to restore your new phone to. Hope you can get it sorted out!

If your iOS is currently iOS 6, it's recommended that you do a fresh restore to iOS 7 to avoid any later problems that arises from an update.