What's new

Moving Icons In IOS 12

billwill

Reaction score
I need to change location for some icons on my iPhone 7. How do I do that? It was easy a couple of years ago when I could do it with iTunes. Now, I can't figure out how to do it unless I'm moving an icon on the same page.

Thank you very much for your help and expertise.

There is an article in iMore or Drippler. It's pretty easy if you follow the instructions for ”blank icons.”

Press and hold an icon until they all start wiggling. You can then move the icon around on the screen. If you place one icon on top of another you'll create an app folder where you can group sets of similar apps.If you move an icon to the edge of the screen you'll move to the next screen. If you're moving an icon several screens away you can put the icon in the dock and swipe to the screen you want, then move the icon to where you want it. Remember app icons have to be wiggling before you can move them around.
How to move apps and create folders on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Getting icons to move is so easy even a newbie could probably do it.

Don’t want to start any argument or have any hatred on me but I have both a iPhone and iPad and the way things are done on them are very similar.

True, but creating a custom layout is much easier on Android. Blank spaces are at least somewhat complicated on iPads and iPhones.

Not on an iPhone!
Actually it is very easy. As Scifan said, press the icon until it wiggles. Then you can move it to wherever you want. Don’t press the x in the upper corner or it will delete the icon. Can’t get much simpler than that.

It doesn't do that on the iPhone 7+, even with the latest iOS.

Without a placeholder, there is no way to leave empty space on the iPhone 7+ home screen. The X_ models may allow this, but mine definitely won't.

Without a placeholder, there is no way to leave empty space on the iPhone 7+ home screen. The X_ models may allow this, but mine definitely won't.
There never has been the ability to leave empty spaces on an iPhone home screen. App icons fill a screen from the upper left ending at the lower right.