What's new

Jailbroken 4s 5.0.1 wants to restore and rejailbreak

klw91

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 4s which already jailbroken on iOS 5.0.1. I'd like to update the iOS so I can update several of my apps. Is my best bet to wait until there is a JB for the newest iOS before restoring, updating and then rejailbreaking? Or is there a way I can somehow update to an iOS between 5.0.1 and the latest version and then JB? I'm somewhat technologically challenged so I'm just not sure. Thank you!

Hello. I have a 4s which already jailbroken on iOS 5.0.1. I'd like to update the iOS so I can update several of my apps. Is my best bet to wait until there is a JB for the newest iOS before restoring, updating and then rejailbreaking? Or is there a way I can somehow update to an iOS between 5.0.1 and the latest version and then JB? I'm somewhat technologically challenged so I'm just not sure. Thank you!

Unfortunately, the only way you can keep your iPhone 4S jail broken is to stay right where you are. You cannot upgrade to any iOS other than 7.0.4 - and that version is not jail breakable ... yet.

So, if you want to stay jail broken, stay where you are and keep your eyes out for the iOS 7 jail break that we all hope is coming - and soon.

Marilyn

Thanks! So when the new JB comes out, I'll need to restore, upgrade to the new iOS and then JB, correct? I'll need to back up my phone thru iTunes before restoring, too, correct? Thx for the help!

Yes and Yes to both. It's best upgrade to the latest iOS a few weeks in advance when a definitive release date/month is given. If a countdown is released for the iOS 7 jailbreak like @Evad3rs did for the iOS 6 one, it will give you a specific date and time of release. Restoring a week or two in advanced gives you a safety net in case you're busy during the initial release of the tool, and if Apple works quickly to patch the jailbreak, it can be done and the latest iOS pushed out within a week or two as they've done in some of the previous jailbreaks.