What's new

Restore jailbroken iphone 4....

mrjaffa

Reaction score
Having to take my phone to Apple tomorrow because of a dodgy home button so I need to restore. When I have done this in the past I've always got a headache as it always seems to be a right chew.

What's the best way for an iPhone 4 running 5.0.1? And is there an untethered JB available for 5.1 or whatever the latest iOS is or should I not update?

Hope someone can help..... Thanks...

Having to take my phone to Apple tomorrow because of a dodgy home button so I need to restore. When I have done this in the past I've always got a headache as it always seems to be a right chew. What's the best way for an iPhone 4 running 5.0.1? And is there an untethered JB available for 5.1 or whatever the latest iOS is or should I not update? Hope someone can help..... Thanks...
Unfortunately there isn't an Untethered JB available for iP4 on iOS 5.1 right now. As well... the only way to clear your current JB is to restore via iTunes. If you do it straight through iTunes you'll be updated to iOS 5.1. However, if you have SHSHs available for iOS 5.0.1... you can restore using a custom IPSW to 5.0.1. Since you're currently JB check Cydia's home page and see what SHSHs are saved at the top of the screen.

Thanks for the super fast reply buddy.

So, looking at Cydia, it says at the top: SHSH: 4.3.3, 4.3.5, 5.0.1, 5.1....... Does that mean I can downgrade back to 5.0.1?

And, are you saying I can simply connect to iTunes, update to 5.1 without doing anything else like shift and choose the ipsw, and I won't run into annoying errors?

Is there a tethered JB for 5.1? That wouldn't be too bad I guess.

Also, I remember updating my ipad before and I used something which then once I'd jailbroken again, I could restore all my JB tweaks. Can't remember what it was, is there something for the iphone for this?

Thanks again :)

Yes... with it showing 5.0.1 you can restore to a custom IPSW. If you want to update via iTunes normally you'll be updated to 5.1... so nope, no shift and choose a specific IPSW. That's what you'd be doing when restoring to the custom Firmware. And yes... there's a Tethered JB for the iP4 on 5.1. Redsn0w from the Dev Team's blog page is a Tethered JB on the iPF w/ 5.1

Thanks again. I've also saved my SHSH via TinyUmbrella, or at least I think I have. Will update shortly.

Just spoke to Apple and even though I know this issue with my home button is a common problem, because I'm out of warranty they will most likely charge me. Bit annoyed. I've bought a 3G, 4, 4S for the wife and an iPad 2 but they are going to charge me as apparently they home button should last longer than a year. Grrrrrr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

While the homebutton issue is a common problem, I notice that it is only a problem for me while I have autolock turned off in sbsettings. Just something to give a try before doing all that work.
---

I have an IP4 as well and I'd like to do a fresh install because of a problem I'm having. Please update us and let us know if your update to 5.1 and downgrade to 5.01 and rejailbreak works.. Same if you try for the tethered 5.1 jailbreak.

It's definitely hardware and not software. Just done some more research and went and bought some methylated spirit and cleaned the home button and it's as good as new! Was just a build up of dirt under the button in my case. So shouldn't need to go back to Apple now only for them to tell me it was out of warranty and charge me something stupid to fix it.

Thanks again chaps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD