What's new

Jailbreak Uber provided (driver) IPhone

dooleymoe

Reaction score
Rather obscure question, but I drive for ride-sharing service Uber (www.uber.com). They provide you with an iphone that has their driver app installed, and has data service through verizon. It is locked down (i'm guessing through some type of enterprise profile, i'm not up to speed on these technologies) so that only some basic apps and the uber app can run (no texting, itunes, web browser). this means we have to have a 2nd device to run navigation on or to call/text a rider from.

Even that would be fine, but they now want us to pay for the data service ($40 a month). I have not previously looked in to jailbreaking the phone, since they were paying for it. However, if i'm paying for the service, I'd like to be able to install my own navigation apps/etc. Any ideas how to go about this?

Hello fellow uber driver i too am left wanting more useability on my uber phone. I actually received my phone without some of the uber apps fully installed. I believe mdm was. Ot installed initially and i didnt install kt for a bit snd was able to use the web before i installed it. If we could just get rid of that app. There is a profiles section in settings that looks like i can delete an mdm remote access profile im thinking of doing it.

This is the same cat and mouse between jailbreakers and Apple. If they don't find out that your device is jailbroken, then nothing happens. If they find out, and your device is not restored to stock, then your service will be terminated from Uber, or they'll charge you an MSRP replacement fee for the device. Since you technically did not pay for the device itself, it's still their property whereas if you were to buy one on your own, your argument would be that you purchased the device and have sole ownership of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapa

I am interested in the same result. I took mine to uBreakIt-IfixIt but they said it cannot be done. I want to add Skype.

Where did you hear that they will charge $40/month for data; this is news to me. I am already upset that they raised their commission to 20% from 5% when I was recruited from Sidecar. I am in Los Angeles and sometimes drive in Santa Cruz, when I visit there bi-monthly (separate registration process and separate iPhone).