What's new

is the iphone 5c good to get?

rextos

Reaction score
hey, I know when it comes to apple stuff the community tends to be very elitist and vanity driven, but I'm tired of dealing with buggy android apps and wanted to give an iphone a try, but 650$ for a new one is too much, so was looking at the 5c for 450$. problem is i hear that apple slows down their devices intentionally every 2 years to force people to buy a new iphone or deal with randomly generated lag also i didn't like how the iphone 6 last year came out with only 1gb ram because they know if they sold it as 2gb it would be more future proof :/

but i'll bite with the philosophy that ios can do a lot with little ram, so is the iphone 5c good to get? i hear its basically the same specs as the old iphone 5 but with cheaper materials but still good. do you think in 2 years it will be sluggish? just fyi i did buy a 4s few months ago but with the latest update its just so slow i ended up junking it because even after a clean restore it was garbage.

Apple does not deliberately slow down older iPhones to get people to buy the latest example. Any code in iOS that was designed to do that would be discovered in very short order by experts who look through every line of code looking for hidden features, jailbreak exploits, etc.

If you plan on using an iPhone 5c as your only iPhone I wouldn't recommend it as the 8GB storage capacity is simply not enough for anyone who uses their phone for much more than basic usage. Apps are getting larger, music will take up significant space, and you may not have enough free space for upgrades. Also, it's not recommended that you fill your storage right up as you'll need some space just to be able use apps, browse the web, etc. As the apps you use and sites you visit need space for a temporary cache and data.

The 5c is a good phone. My Wife uses one. Your best bet is to find a good used 16 gb 5c at a decent price. The battery could be an issue soon.

alright maybe ill look for a refurbed 16gb 5s on ebay cus i actually bought my 4s used/refurbed on ebay and it was pretty much perfect except there was a bad dust clog in the charger but i managed to clean it with a vacuum cleaner and a needle haha.

also a used 5s is cheaper than a new 5c :D

When you purchase an iPhone via eBay, make sure it's not locked to someone's iCloud ID.

Apple does not deliberately slow down older iPhones to get people to buy the latest example. Any code in iOS that was designed to do that would be discovered in very short order by experts who look through every line of code looking for hidden features, jailbreak exploits, etc.

If you plan on using an iPhone 5c as your only iPhone I wouldn't recommend it as the 8GB storage capacity is simply not enough for anyone who uses their phone for much more than basic usage. Apps are getting larger, music will take up significant space, and you may not have enough free space for upgrades. Also, it's not recommended that you fill your storage right up as you'll need some space just to be able use apps, browse the web, etc. As the apps you use and sites you visit need space for a temporary cache and data.

i thought it was the experts who were saying they found codes that generated random delays in animation to make the older iphones feel more sluggish. also im sure when apple released the update for 4s they could see it made it slower, but obviously they want people to upgrade = more money for them. which is part of business, but what they don't realize is that vanity can only carry a brand for so long and if you start treating the consumers like crap they will take their business elsewhere because i think more and more people these days are realizing that others don't really care what they have or don't have because everyone's busy dealing with their own life.

I use the 16gb iPhone 5C in white.

im looking at the apple store website and looks like they only have the 8gb for sale now, did they stop selling the 16gb? how many more years do you think the 5c will run smoothly before it starts to feel frustratingly slow? its almost 2 years old now and i feel like with 1gb ram it won't be as bogged down as the 4s, but one thing i learned with apple and my mac days - you never know what they will do next haha. which is fine by me because its good to be innovative and try new things because thats how tech improves, but i hate when industry's do completely stupid things, like having button flys on jeans be fashionable even though they are such a hassle and pretty much everyone agrees, but they will still support it in forums and public chats because they want to fit in and will change their own tastes, desires, and needs just to abide by the industrys. I don't care what excuse people give next about mobility, putting only 1 usb C port on the new macbook for charging and everything is beyond stupid! and they advertise it as 'light years ahead' :/

i had good luck buying phones on ebay in the past so im hoping if i find a reputable seller i can get a good deal on a 5s.

Last edited:
i thought it was the experts who were saying they found codes that generated random delays in animation to make the older iphones feel more sluggish. also im sure when apple released the update for 4s they could see it made it slower, but obviously they want people to upgrade = more money for them. which is part of business, but what they don't realize is that vanity can only carry a brand for so long and if you start treating the consumers like crap they will take their business elsewhere because i think more and more people these days are realizing that others don't really care what they have or don't have because everyone's busy dealing with their own life.

im looking at the apple store website and looks like they only have the 8gb for sale now, did they stop selling the 16gb? how many more years do you think the 5c will run smoothly before it starts to feel frustratingly slow? its almost 2 years old now and i feel like with 1gb ram it won't be as bogged down as the 4s, but one thing i learned with apple and my mac days - you never know what they will do next haha. which is fine by me because its good to be innovative and try new things because thats how tech improves, but i hate when industry's do completely stupid things, like having button flys on jeans be fashionable even though they are such a hassle and pretty much everyone agrees, but they will still support it in forums and public chats because they want to fit in and will change their own tastes, desires, and needs just to abide by the industrys. I don't care what excuse people give next about mobility, putting only 1 usb C port on the new macbook for charging and everything is beyond stupid! and they advertise it as 'light years ahead' :/

i had good luck buying phones on ebay in the past so im hoping if i find a reputable seller i can get a good deal on a 5s.
Here's an article about the real reasons behind the perception that older iPhones run slower. iPhone slow explained The truth about iOS updates iMore
If Apple, or any company, were to deliberately slow down their older devices, there could be legal consequences for any company that tried it.
Far from getting the customer to update his device, deliberately slowing older devices is far more likely to drive those customers away; where they'll buy another company's product.

In regards to your opinion about the USB C port on the new MacBook, both Apple and third parties sell adapters to allow you to get more functionality out of the USB C connector. The move to the new connector was done for several reasons. Two of the mist important are;
1. The connector is reversible. No more damaging or destroying the connector by trying to insert it the wrong way around.
2. The new connector is quite small, enabling the design of a much thinner and lighter design.

Last edited:
Here's an article about the real reasons behind the perception that older iPhones run slower. iPhone slow explained The truth about iOS updates iMore
If Apple, or any company, were to deliberately slow down their older devices, there could be legal consequences for any company that tried it.
Far from getting the customer to update his device, deliberately slowing older devices is far more likely to drive those customers away; where they'll buy another company's product.

In regards to your opinion about the USB C port on the new MacBook, both Apple and third parties sell adapt its to allow you to get more functionality out of the USB C connector. The move to the new connector was done for several reasons. Two of the mist important are;
1. The connector is reversible. No more damaging or destroying the connector by trying to insert it the wrong way around.
2. The new connector is quite small, enabling the design of a much thinner and lighter design.

Right on, yeah that article seems to give some solid points, I guess i'm just scared from my 3gs and 4s experiences lol, but hoping since the 5c has 1gb ram (same as the 6) and same processor as the 5 it will survive more updates.

don't get me wrong, i love usb C, but i still think they should have added at least 1 more port, otherwise what's the point of the sleek design when you need to strap on a dongle? but then again that is the macbook which they always seem to skimp on and market as 'mobility' lol, but i'm hoping when they update the macbook pro they at least give it 2 usb c ports. i actually have a 2012 june macbook pro 13 and i put in a ssd and its got a nice quality feel to it, but i can see apple is going from their silver phase to gold so gonna wait til they make the gold macbook pro 15 and jump on that lol. i actually regret getting the 13 because the screen is just way too tiny for me (i do a lot of video editing and graphic art (which everyone said macs are the best for) and you cant even fit imovie fully on the screen from side to side :/, so mostly been using adobe premiere on my pc desktop lol.

but i seen the mbp 15s and they are nice looking! also it sucks when you are in a lounge or something and you're on your mbp 13 and then some one comes with their coffee and pulls out a mbp 15", i got so mad i almost smashed my computer right there, but just calmed down and went home lol.

Apple didn't mention it in the introduction of the new MacBook, but there is a second port. It's the headphone jack on the other side of the computer.

Adding other ports, which are all thicker than the USB-C port, would make the computer quite a bit thicker. The lack of a Thunderbolt adaptor on the new MacBook is one I would miss as I have several Thunderbolt drives.

Apple did improve the OS for older devices in iOS 8.4. New iPhones continue with faster and more powerful processors. Apps update to accommodate. Older phones sort of get left out in the cold over time. But, that's progress. Nothing intentional to harm older phones is done. They simply and slowly become obsolete.

iPhone 5c is ok. My wife have it and she is very happy with it. Android nightmares before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk