What's new

is Jailbreaking my iphone 4S worth it?

Tristan

Reaction score
Is jail breaking my iPhone easy, I have an iPhone 4s just want some information about should I or not, and what do you gain out of it

Tristan said:
Is jail breaking my iPhone easy, I have an iPhone 4s just want some information about should I or not, and what do you gain out of it

Yes jailbreaking is extremely easy...especially with the new 5.1.1 untether that Absinthe 2.0.1 provides.

What is the gain. All jailbreaking does is install an application called "Cydia".

Cydia is an alternative to the AppStore. With it you can install tweaks that can add an endless array of functions to your device.

Whatever you wish your phone could do...that it does not...there is a 99% chance that Cydia has a tweak to add that function.

Check out this video: 100 Reasons to Jailbreak:
www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=fZoqW-GEdQM

That's should give you a "general" idea of why people jailbreak. This is my iPhone:

915f6425.jpg
51c416e4.jpg

Agree with what Zig said. This was by far the easiest jailbreak so far. In fact for me it was almost too easy. I actually enjoy having to use the run commands prompts in order to do it. I am just weird though, but just like the dev team indicated with this jailbreak, "so easy your grandmother could do it".

recent informed discussion with Zak elsewhere in a home button thread, i decided to re-check it out.

found this thread and watched the vid. very impressive, as this thread has been stagnant but it was relevant it seemed sensible to comment here.

I'm not out to have a row, just to express my pov and wories.

so far i'm staunchly anti-jailbreak, iOS devices are imho top of the shop, such as the mercedes brand is to vehicles. as boring the design might be it works, and works and works so why fix it if its not busted?

the video shows many tweaks that i might consider desirable like closing all app's in one step, but none is a deal breaker for my needs, if they were i'd likely go android, which means i spend a lot of money to eventually own a newer doorstep in 18 months time :).

being more serious, the phrase 'opens your device to 3rd party app's' rings alarm bells and makes me very nervous, one of the reasons for switching to iOS devices was the stability offered and the protection, and that very stiff control Apple exercise over app makers, perhaps if M$ were to do the same most all those hacking exploits in Windows would not occur.

the tweaks i now accept do not offer any security risk above making the device more laggy, like any computer the more you ask of it the slower it operates. i have a good freind who has jail broken, he is the type who knws what he us doing and showed me his destop, flashing icon, some dancing looked to me like the local pub's karioky night where someone was violently sick, he admits it is less stable - so why do it?

my 15 year old grandson will jail break his ipod then restores it, this may be a fun hobby but not to me. in my youth when the Amiga was king, i was a fringe member of a hacking group who broke games protection, to me the attraction was the meets and the banter (ok and the booze), tbh we hardly ever actually played any game we had 'broke' beyond testing the patches, we then moved onto the next game. the kudos was in having done it to the latest games before anyone else - main drive was because the authors often boasted it was 'impossible'.

the above serves ti shw their are very clever if mis-directed people ou there, and third party apps could be just the finger hold they need.

As Crowd Pleaser stated, it opens up a heck of a lot of possibilities. However, it all depends on how much time you're trying to spend on your phone. For me, personally, I don't want to sit and mess with my phone any more than I have to for business...all up to you I suppose :)

from what i see of people that do jail break, i can relate to the 'crackberry' effect, becomes a obsession trying all the different often free apps.

maybe as Zak said about checking, human nature is riddled with the need to explore, like a child in a sweet shop it becomes manic, so checking inter compatibility is over ridden by laziness. impatience and desire to have the latest.

My conclusion is nobody can really say you should or should not jail break, your device, your choice = your risk, you have at least this forum membership to give advice if it should go South.

CP
(BTW - i'm STILL not jail breaking lol!)

crowd pleaser said:
from what i see of people that do jail break, i can relate to the 'crackberry' effect, becomes a obsession trying all the different often free apps.

maybe as Zak said about checking, human nature is riddled with the need to explore, like a child in a sweet shop it becomes manic, so checking inter compatibility is over ridden by laziness. impatience and desire to have the latest.

My conclusion is nobody can really say you should or should not jail break, your device, your choice = your risk, you have at least this forum membership to give advice if it should go South.

CP
(BTW - i'm STILL not jail breaking lol!)

Perfect. ;)