What's new

Jailbreaking a phone?

wbarrall74

Reaction score
I just got the iphone 4s and saw everyone is talking about jailbreaking it. What are the benifits of jailing breaking the phone? Sorry but I have no idea what they are and would love to know to see if im missing out on something.

Thank you..

JAILBREAKING is over rated.It allows access to Cydia app store where there are many apps,free & pay,that can be downloaded.I found that if one is into games & customizing the look of your phone jailbreaking is for you.If you want to improve the performance of the phone I didn't find many apps for that purpose unlike "rooting" of an Android phone which has many tweaks that will speed up the operation of the phone,which is what I hoped jailbreaking of my iPhone 4 would accomplish.I went back to the stock system because I wasn't interested in what Cydia had to offer & also I was reading about a lot of problems people were having after doing a jailbreak.You can try it then go back if you're not interested.

philbert1998 said:
JAILBREAKING is over rated.It allows access to Cydia app store where there are many apps,free & pay,that can be downloaded.I found that if one is into games & customizing the look of your phone jailbreaking is for you.If you want to improve the performance of the phone I didn't find many apps for that purpose unlike "rooting" of an Android phone which has many tweaks that will speed up the operation of the phone,which is what I hoped jailbreaking of my iPhone 4 would accomplish.I went back to the stock system because I wasn't interested in what Cydia had to offer & also I was reading about a lot of problems people were having after doing a jailbreak.You can try it then go back if you're not interested.

People have problems because they didn't research what they were doing well enough.

I jailbreak for the functionality....not theming.

I have added over 60+ functions to my device from jailbreaking that a stock IPhone does not have.

I have no idea why you think jailbreaking is mostly theming and making the device look cools.

The extra functionality you can add is endless to say the least.

As I have said....I jailbreak for extra functionality. Not to make my device look cool. That means very little to me......even tho I do take advantage of that fact...that is not the reason I jailbreak.

KBShortcuts
IntelliScreenX
Multi Icon Mover
CallBar
Springtimize 2
Activator
QuickDo
Backgrounder
Dynamic Table Strip
FolderEnhancer
Ipsum
KuaiDial
ScreenDim
Caffeine 2
SpringFlash
StartDial
SwipeSelection
SwipeShiftCaret
TVOut 2
TetherMe
biteSMS
Music Controls Pro
Safari Download Enabler
AdBlocker
AppInfo
MobileTerminal
SBSettings
iFile
LinkSafe
LowPowerBanner
NCSettings
MultiCleaner
WiFiFoFum
TetherMe
WeeTrackData
PullToDismiss
ProTube

ALL FUNCTIONALITY *ONLY* TWEAKS.

And That is just what I have installed.

A "fraction" of the "functionality ONLY" tweaks in existence within Cydia.

There are MORE tweaks that are made for functionality then there are for LOOKS and theming.

I will bet my LIFE in that.

I understand your point fully.I had Android phones for many years & became accustomed to using the "root" tool to change many things about the file system & the overall operation of the phone.I really didn't give Cydia a good going over to be honest but I'm having a hard time breaking ties with Android.After a while Android became somewhat of a pain in the behind because it was unstable & had problems.That is why I migrated to an iPhone.I'll never regret the move.When I get more familiar with jailbreaking I'm sure my confidance level will increase.

When IOS6 is released will the current jailbreak work or will a new one have to be released?Thanx

When IOS6 is released will the current jailbreak work or will a new one have to be released?Thanx

We will have to wait for a new un tethered jailbreak.. though beta 1 is already jailbroken to developers and you can only ssh (no cydia)

Unleashed said:
We will have to wait for a new un tethered jailbreak.. though beta 1 is already jailbroken to developers and you can only ssh (no cydia)

There is now a way to have a working Cydia on iOS 6 actually. You just have to manually install it. The current jailbreak tool will not install Cydia+jailbreak.

But I'm sure you knew that.

Last edited:
There is now a way to have a working Cydia on iOS 6 actually. You just have to manually install it. The current jailbreak tool will not install Cydia+jailbreak.

But I'm sure you knew that.

Yeah I did. but either way I would wait for an official un tethered jb after the release of ios 6 to the public, gives time for devs to port their tweaks to ios 6

Unleashed said:
Yeah I did. but either way I would wait for an official un tethered jb after the release of ios 6 to the public, gives time for devs to port their tweaks to ios 6

Agreed.