What's new

Iphone stolen

8balluk

Reaction score
Had my iphone 5s stolen. Problem is I didn't have the locate my phone thing enabled and also I didn't realise it was gone for some time. If they've unlocked it prior to me realising it's gone, can I somehow still locate it?

Thanks

Had my iphone 5s stolen. Problem is I didn't have the locate my phone thing enabled and also I didn't realise it was gone for some time. If they've unlocked it prior to me realising it's gone, can I somehow still locate it? Thanks
Unfortunately, without find my iPhone, there is no way for you to track your phone's whereabouts. The person who stole it won't be able to erase your phone and use it themselves because without your Apple ID and password the phone can't be erased. They also won't be able to unlock it if it was password locked.

Have you contacted the police and your cellular carrier to report the theft? You should also contact Apple in case the phone is brought into one of their stores.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

Unfortunately, without find my iPhone, there is no way for you to track your phone's whereabouts. The person who stole it won't be able to erase your phone and use it themselves because without your Apple ID and password the phone can't be erased. They also won't be able to unlock it if it was password locked. Have you contacted the police and your cellular carrier to report the theft? You should also contact Apple in case the phone is brought into one of their stores. scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator
Yeh it's been reported

What if they tried to sync it would it then come to life of who or where someone was syncing?

What if they ve unlocked it could they s

What if they unlocked it could they then set up the iphone as a new one.

No my phone didn't have a number lock on it

What if they unlocked it could they then set up the iphone as a new one. No my phone didn't have a number lock on it
one of the security features new to iOS 7 is that in order to erase the phone and set it up is that the original owner's Apple ID and password have to be entered. Without that ID and password, the phone cannot be erased. If you get your cellular carrier to block the phone, it can't be used or activated.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

Scifan,
Does this work if it disappears before you can set the print scanner or number lock (if you lost it on the way out of the store for instance)? I don't have my new phone yet (January at end of my 2 year contract) so don't know about the new security features with iOS7 and the 5S phone yet.

It turns out that Activation Lock, the new iOS 7 feature that prevents your iPhone from being erased or activated unless your Apple ID and password are entered is only activated after find my iPhone is turned on. My apologies to the OP. Here is the Apple page that explains how Activation Lock works. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5818

It turns out that Activation Lock, the new iOS 7 feature that prevents your iPhone from being erased or activated unless your Apple ID and password are entered is only activated after find my iPhone is turned on. My apologies to the OP. Here is the Apple page that explains how Activation Lock works. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5818

Thanks Scifan, I didn't understand how it works.