What's new

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus first look

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus look pretty much the same as their predecessors. The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, updated versions of last year’s iPhone 7 and 7 Plus featuring with faster processors, a True Tone display, and upgraded cameras. Apple may be moving up numerically, but the new iPhone 8 models look to continue the same rough design the company has been using since 2014 from the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. The iPhone 8 will start at $699 for a 64GB model, while the 8 Plus will start at $799 for 64GB of storage. Both models will also have larger 2

Question for iPhone 8 Plus

In Messages if I turn my phone sideways so I can have more typing room, it cuts my writing space in half by showing the left side of the screen too. How do I change that?

Go into settings/keyboard, and then turn off one handed keyboard. See pics for where this is at. It’s under settings/keyboard/one handed keyboard. Turn it off and you should be good to go.
IMG_9913.jpg
IMG_9914.jpg

No problem. Glad I was able to help! Enjoy having the full keyboard!!

Do people actually screen films on their phones??? Why???? Would you not rather watch a film on your telly??? I cannot imagine being hunched over a phone for two hours. Maybe it is just me, though....

So the 8 is already two years old then.... No matter what you buy, it seems it will be out of date in a year.

In technology, it is often said that a product is out of date by the time it reaches the shops. (As soon as a product is announced, another company announces something better, even though it is probably vapourware. I had a chat with a colleague about a new computer - this was probably in the 80’s. He was interested in buying one but said that he had heard that a better computer was was due out soon... I have often wondered if he ever bought a computer at all.)

NSquirrel, I take your point! I recall taking my first computer class way back in the very early 1980s. I had a great teacher, and I recall he telling the class two things (1) you can never have enough "memory," and (2) if you want to wait to buy a computer until the "best" one comes out, then you will never buy a computer. What I took away from that advice more than anything else was to go for the greatest amount of memory available in a device. Now, we are almost to 2020! I can hardly believe it has been that many years! I feel as old as Methuselah!!

I must admit, I love my MacBook Air and my iPhone, and I love the Internet for so many reasons, but on what I call the "serious" side of computers, I do not want to know anymore! One of the courses I had to take to complete my B.B.A. was a computer course in COBAL programming. It was then that I knew beyond a shadow of doubt that I was not even a remote candidate for the computer profession! :p Talk about HATE computer programming!

Meanwhilst, I had a dear friend who had been doing computer programming for a living since the 1970s! I recall one afternoon leaving an SOS message on her voicemail as I had a project due the next day, and my programme was not printing out the way it was supposed to do. Exhausted, I fell asleep on my bed with books and papers all around me. To my astonishment, she belled me at 11:30 p.m. after she had come home from a long day at work. She asked me exactly what do you want it to look like, and I told her, but I did not hold out much hope. The next day I went to the lab and compiled everything just as she told me, and voila! It came out absolutely perfect! Who would have thought that at that hour of the night after a grinding work day that had begun at 5 a.m. and having no chance to look at what I had on my desk/lap that she could have come up with "perfection" over the telephone?!?!?! Baby, I was IMPRESSED!!! I knew then, too, that there are some folks who are techies, and then there are the others. I am definitely one of the others! :D

Ultimately, I am one of those people who want to use and enjoy technology, but I do not want to know the intricate details of how it works! :D

Last edited:
Ah the joys of learning programming... As a student we had what I still consider a particularly nasty algorithm to write, even though it was only in BASIC or possibly FORTRAN and on a teletype terminal. We all managed it as someone spread the word around that the new computer section of the Science Museum had the algorithm as a demonstration piece of code. (The museum was next door and it must have had an extra hundred student visitors in the next few days.) -and then there were some who didn’t need to go to the museum.

I agree with you about memory, but the way the cost drops gets a bit frustrating if you look too hard. I think my recent purchase of a replacement laptop, with gb of ram and SSD, cost less than my first external 20 MB hard disc for my Mac Plus. Such is progress, and fascinating to observe.

I recall wrestling with BASIC....but FORTRAN??? Oiy!!!! You have my deepest sympathies, kid!!! :D You must have been working with mainframes for government, yes??

Last edited: