What's new

iphone 6 does not sync with google contacts

irvineboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I followed this thread

Sync contacts with your Apple device - Gmail Help

I have iOS v 9.1 on my iPhone 6.

If I log into Google Contacts through my Gmail account and update an existing contact or add a new contact, it will replicate on my iPhone 6.

When I create a new contact on my iPhone and I go to Google Contacts, the new contact does NOT appear. Even after I wait 15 minutes or an hour, it will never replicate. However, if I update an existing contact on my iPhone, then then update will replicate in my Google Contacts after a refresh. I just CANNOT ADD new contacts from my iPhone to replicate to my Google Contacts!!!

How come I am unable to add (can only update) a new contact on my iPhone and replicate it to my Google Contacts?

Last edited:
If you followed every instruction from the link you provided, your contacts should sync without problems.

Make sure you set the Gmail account as your default account in Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendar - Contacts. Otherwise you'll add new contacts to the default account showing up there, and they won't sync to Gmail.

Try removing the account, and setting it up again. Make sure you use the Google option when you set it up, set the account as default account, and try adding or editing one of your contacts on the iPhone.

If you followed every instruction from the link you provided, your contacts should sync without problems.

Make sure you set the Gmail account as your default account in Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendar - Contacts. Otherwise you'll add new contacts to the default account showing up there, and they won't sync to Gmail.

Try removing the account, and setting it up again. Make sure you use the Google option when you set it up, set the account as default account, and try adding or editing one of your contacts on the iPhone.

Hi JA,

Thanks for the reply I checked and under my default in the Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendar, I had my work email not my Gmail.
But why does it still replicate from my Google Contacts to my iPhone when I add/update contacts thru my Google Contacts directly?

Because you've set up and are using the account, contacts sync to the iPhone. It works from the Google account to the iPhone, not the other way round, if you don't use Gmail as default account.

Because you've set up and are using the account, contacts sync to the iPhone. It works from the Google account to the iPhone, not the other way round, if you don't use Gmail as default account.

I changed the default to Gmail. But the dozen contacts that have added previously on my iPhone did not replicate to the Google account. Only the ones going forward after I made the default settings change. Is there any way to sync all contacts as is or do I just have to manually add the dozen contacts that I added to my iPhone to Google account directly?

The contacts that were added before you used Gmail as default account, are saved to a different account.

There might be an app that will help you transfer these contacts to Gmail. Otherwise you'll have to transfer them manually.