What's new

iPhone 5s gets hot

Mushmellow

Reaction score
Is this normal? I just got my iPhone a couple of days ago. I play a couple of games and my phone gets hot. What can I do to prevent this? Should I return the phone? Any help would be nice.

Hello everyone!!! I'm Mushmellow and I got my first iPhone a few days ago. I'm new to apple. I use to own a Samsung Galaxy. I wanted to try out an iPhone so I bought the iPhone 5s. Anyways, I'm new to the site and to apple :)
It's normal for the iPhone to get warmer as it's used. How hot is your's getting. While a certain amount of warming is normal, excessive heat is not.

A bit over normal hot. What can I do if it gets excessive hot?

A bit over normal hot. What can I do if it gets excessive hot?
There's a built in high temperature protection circuit in the iPhone which will shut down the iPhone if it exceeds the maximum allowable temperature.

It's hard to tell without testing. If it's getting too hot to comfortably hold, there may be an internal fault that's causing it.

My 5s runs pretty hot, sometimes uncomfortably so, way hotter than either my 4 or my 4s.

Doesn't seem to have done it any damage so far, and it's getting on for 3 years old.

When you play graphics-intensive games for too long, it's possible that the iPhone gets warmer than usual. Give it frequent breaks, don't keep the screen brightness at it's maximum. About a half or even less is enough, as long as you're not in sunlight. Don't let it charge while you're playing. If it's in a case, remove it when it's too hot.

In my case, it's probably use of GPS-based apps that are causing the work; that and keeping it permanently on charge. And, yes, my screen is at maximum brightness. @scifan57 will attest to how bright the sunlight can be in this part of the world.

Thanks everyone for the help, tips and tricks. Thought it wasn't normal.