What's new

Iphone gets hot

My phone has shut down twice through overheating. The first time, it was attached to a dashboard mount and the heater was playing directly onto it. The second time was in my truck. I fell asleep (unintentionally) with the heaters going full blast. I don't know what the temperature got up to, but the phone, which was sitting on the passenger seat, shut down. I was ill for a week afterwards, so I'd say the phone survived better than I did.

Wow , that photo is crazy! Was that an iPhone ?

According to the news report I watched on YouTube it was a Samsung Galaxy S4, with a non original replacement battery that overheated, swelled, and caught fire.

According to the news report I watched on YouTube it was a Samsung Galaxy S4, with a non original replacement battery that overheated, swelled, and caught fire.

ok, well that makes a bit more sense.

Cheap aftermarket batteries , I don't trust them. I bought some batteries from a website in China for a psp some years ago, they looked identical , but they turned out to be kinda crappy in the end. died much faster than the originals. I never had any problems as severe as overheating, or fire , though.

Apple uses high quality batteries in their iPhones. After lots of tests with high and low quality Li-ion & Li-Po in police portable radios and ham radios, I would never use anything but an original OEM battery direct from apple in any of my iOS devices.

Expect new regulations, laws, restrictions within the next 3 years on li-ion and Li-Po's due to cheap aftermarket and counterfeits causing fires and other destructions.

I'll make a new post soon with my testing results that's been going since 2003. Spoiler alert: topping off Li-ion/Li-Po batteries it best thing to do for longevity and will make the battery last much longer then draining it to 20% all the time.

I use an iPhone 4 and I'm having the same problem. When I use WiFi for 5 - 6 mins, the iPhone gets hot. Also, when charging the iPhone, both the iPhone and the USB Power Charger get hot. Not sure if its the Lithium Ion Batteries or just the fact that my iPhone is almost 4 yrs old.

By hot, do you mean that the phone is hot enough to burn your skin or is it just uncomfortable to hold?

Apple devices have a built in temperature sensor and if the device temperature exceeds the safe operating temperature, it will automatically shut down until it cools off.