What's new

iPhone 4s dictation for text not working please help

Sippysippy

Reaction score
Today I tried to dictate a text by pressing the microphone picture on the keyboard. The microphone comes on with a beep (as normal), listens to me talk, and then I press "done." The 3 small blinking purple dots appear where you
would type. The problem is, those 3 dots (which normally turn into words after the phone is done "thinking") just
stay there, blinking, indefinitely.

So far I've tried holding down the home bottom and top button together to reset, multiple times. After the phone
resets, I try dictating and the same thing happens (iMessages, emails, doesn't matter).

Any other suggestions?? Thank you!

It's most of the time related to your Internet connection I think. Make sure that you are under a good range of 3G or wifi and try it again it should work or try hard resetting the iPhone.

I am having same problem! Worked earlier today! Siri is working fine. Hummmm

I am in Portland Oregon. I'm using AT&T 3G Network and I'm having the exact same problem. Siri seems to work just fine. I've also tried two different wifi connections and I get the same symptoms. Please post if someone finds out about a fix or update for this issue.

Exact same problem here in Battle Creek, MI. No dictation for wifi and 3G, Siri works fine. Weird...

Same problem here in SW Florida, but on only one of our phones!

I started having the same problem, too, within the past week (first week Dec 2011). Siri works well, but dictation within text or email does not work at all. Three dots just keep blinking endlessly. My AT&T wireless connection is strong. Even tried speaking really slowly and distinctly. No dice. Will try Apple Support soon if no solution.

I tried apple support. They walked me through the usual be. Powering and resetting phone. Nothing worked. They said its probably a siri server issue. Kept saying siri is in beta stage. How could it be the server if according to this forum, is happening in more than one area of the us? Kind of felt like they meant tough luck. They told me to wait 24 hours and call back if dictation issue is still there.

Having same exact problem on Cape Cod, MA. Siri works. Voice dictation via keyboard doesn't. Just 3 blinking lights.

I have same problem. Verizon told me to reset and this did nothing. What is the fix?