What's new

iPhone 4 (using iOS 5) texting/phone randomly stops working

rob1302

Reaction score
I've had my iPhone 4 since it's launch last august 2010. Never had any problems with it until the past week (and i haven't dropped my phone since or done anything out of the ordinary).

Now my phone will randomly 'stop' working for a random period of time. Let me explain what i mean by stop working.

During these periods when it doesn't work, I always have bars..anywhere from 3 to full.
* I cannot receive or make a phone call. Nothing happens when i try calling i don't even get the fail or anything just dead air.
* When i try sending a text, the 'Sending...' just stays there forever...showed in this picture Texting Problem.
* When sending texts that seem to stall on that screen, sometimes the people receive it even if it shows not sent for me and sometimes they don't..also totally random.
* I cannot receive any Text Messages at all. (When i do get my "signal" back or when it starts working again, sometimes I get spammed with all the text messages i received all at once, but other times I just don't get anything.

These 'dead' periods or whatever you wanna call them last anywhere from a few hours to 12 (longest one so far). It's happening almost once a day.

Also, my roommate has an iPhone 4 as well and has the same carrier as me, he isn't having any of these problems so I doubt it has to do with towers around the area. (New place we've been living for 2 months now)

Everything else on the phone is working fine..iMessages, WiFi.

If anyone has any idea why it's doing this or if it happens to anyone else? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I am having the same issues too. It first happened last week, when I tried to call my friend I wasn't getting a dial tone or anything (later found out that he got the call but couldn't hear from me on his end). then I tried to sms him the sending bar was just chilling there never completing.

I restored my phone and it helped out. but yesterday it happened again, so I restored once more, unfortunately though it did not help.

what could the problem be?

I got my iPhone 4 in September 2010 and have never had an issue...until recently. I updated to iOS 5 on its release day and I have noticed my iPhone 4 doing similar things, unfortunately. However, my issues are only related to SMS. Each time I send an SMS, no matter what the length of the message, the sending bar stops near the end, sits there for 10-15 seconds, then goes through. My SMS messages are not failing, but it's an annoyance to suddenly have it take that long to send. iMessages works flawlessly and send very quickly. I have restored my iPhone, reset network settings, and have had my network reset by my carrier (Rogers in Canada), but to no avail. I actually work for Rogers and have yet to see another customer with this problem. I've also talked with Rogers tech support and they haven't heard of this issue yet either. It's most likely an issue in iOS 5. I'm interested to hear if anyone else has this issue or if there's a solution.

It seems like my problems started when i upgraded to iOS 5 as well. i seem to lose signal a lot with the new iOS and this other problem where my phone goes dead for several hours randomly…i wish my only problem was SMS only taking 10 secs to go through, that's almost not a problem at all.

I'm also on Fido (so basically same as rogers)

rob1302, yeah I know I'm being a bit picky with my SMS problem, but it is quite annoying. However, your problems are far greater and I hope a solution is found. If nothing else, we can hope our problems are solved with iOS 5.0.1 soon :) Please update us if you find a solution...I'll do the same :)

So i've tried this 4 times in the past couple days but whenever my phone is in it's "dead" state, if i play a game where i'm holding the device sideways for 1-5 mins my phone starts working again.
I've done this 4 times and it worked each time within 5 mins... complete coincidence? Possibly...maybe it's the way i'm holding the phone that affects the antenna on the side. I really have no idea.
But i'll keep trying this trick and see if it continues to work

I've faced the same issue, then I restored my iPhone to 4.3.3, everything is fine now.

rob1302, yeah I know I'm being a bit picky with my SMS problem, but it is quite annoying. However, your problems are far greater and I hope a solution is found. If nothing else, we can hope our problems are solved with iOS 5.0.1 soon :) Please update us if you find a solution...I'll do the same :)

iOS 5.0.1 is now out! See if it helps!

Sent from my iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 using Tapatalk