What's new

Iphone 4 16gb

aikiep

Reaction score
Hello, Im aikie and ill be getting my iphone 4 this tuesday and i already downloaded lot of apps. Id like to know what will i do first with my iphone to make it a lot better. like putting some themes, etc...

Hi aikie, welcome to iPhoneForums.net

Have a look in here for themes for your new iPhone >
iPhone 4 Themes - iPhone Forum

I'm not big on themes personally though, the iPhone does everything I want nice and standard, although I do use family and love ones (including pets) as wallpapers generally.

Anyway, enjoy your stay :)

Hello, Im aikie and ill be getting my iphone 4 this tuesday and i already downloaded lot of apps. Id like to know what will i do first with my iphone to make it a lot better. like putting some themes, etc...

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You know the iphone 5 might get released in july? just so you dont go rush and buy the 4 when a newer version could be released very soon.. but maybe you dont care.. though the iphone 4 is very good.

themes? well officially you can have background pics from your photo album, but if you decide you want to jailbreak then you can download winterboard and have animated wallpapers or video wallpapers and change the look of your iphone completely changing everything from wifi icon to slide to unlock screen.

if you do jailbreak then keep an eye in the news section because phil does announce a lot of useful jailbreak apps where you can really customise and put nice themes on your phone.

you can even have animated boot logos now using "animate" and use a free app called FakeCarrier to change the "ATT" or what ever carrier you use to anything and an app called Mystrings you can change everything, like slide to unlock and slide to cancel, everything you can think of you can change and put what you want and in winterboard you can put your own sms tones or ringtones over 30 seconds and so much more. and i would advise getting barrel, it changes the way your icons scroll, instead of sliding form pages you can have the icons move like a cube or rolling out and in of the screen lol

but what kind of apps have you downloaded so far?

Since 'jailbreak' has been mentioned.

Do note: Replacing your firmware on your brand new iPhone to something other than the manufacturer (ie Apple) and changing it to a 3rd party, non supported, 'jailbreaked' version, will completely and fully stop any warranty on your brand new iPhone.

For some unknown reason (?) many members forget to mention this. On top of losing your warranty fully, many jailbreaked phones have issues (iPhone freezing up, or never turning on again!)

Jailbreaking a brand new iPhone is risky and not supported, and therefore is at your own risk. Suggesting for new members to do this without warning or understanding of broken warranty is not right, especially when this can easily make your iphone not work again.

To others who have had no issue with doing this and feel compelled to reply here, make absolutely sure to always warn others before replacing their iPhone's firmware, and subsequently losing all warranty on their brand new iPhone.

Note: it is easy for others to state just revert back to your original firmware if something goes wrong. Ironically if something goes wrong many times it's impossible to do this with a phone that does not turn on!

I will need to create a topic guide on this so as to direct others to, I'm unsure why these real concerns are not brought up to others (yet).

Do note: Replacing your firmware on your brand new iPhone to something other than the manufacturer (ie Apple) and changing it to a 3rd party, non supported, 'jailbreaked' version, will completely and fully stop any warranty on your brand new iPhone.

For some unknown reason (?) many members forget to mention this. On top of losing your warranty fully, many jailbreaked phones have issues (iPhone freezing up, or never turning on again!)

Jailbreaking a brand new iPhone is risky and not supported, and therefore is at your own risk. Suggesting for new members to do this without warning or understanding of broken warranty is not right, especially when this can easily make your iphone not work again.

To others who have had no issue with doing this and feel compelled to reply here, make absolutely sure to always warn others before replacing their iPhone's firmware, and subsequently losing all warranty on their brand new iPhone.

Note: it is easy for others to state just revert back to your original firmware if something goes wrong. Ironically if something goes wrong many times it's impossible to do this with a phone that does not turn on!

I will need to create a topic guide on this so as to direct others to, I'm unsure why these real concerns are not brought up to others (yet).

wrong

All that I wrote is correct.
I am contemplating asking the Admin to here to always state 'warning at your risk', everytime jailbreak is mentioned as an option, especially on brand new iPhones!

Replacing your firmware to a 3rd party firmware is not a good option and is risky. Apple themselves do not recommend this, and for good reason, things CAN and do go wrong.

'Themes' already exist without jailbreaking. This should always be suggested first by responsible support helpers here.

Last edited:

Extremely wrong and out of the loop. Hehehe we are in 2011 dud, wake up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firstly thankyou to the members here who continually quote me, even though they are replying to my post directly before theirs! Strange but their choice to double up on what I've written to help others.

Since all (support?) here are all for new iPhone users to replacing their firmware to an unsupported non official iPhone software (firmware, being the base platform of the iPhone operating system). Then I can only conclude that they:
  • are not aware of the numerous topics for user's jailbreak issues.
  • are not concerned or responsible enough to warn users that 'firmware' upgrades require special care
  • are not advising users of warranty or killing their iPhone fully and subsequently requiring other Apps (non supported again!) to hopefully repair their broken iPhone
  • are in the cloud of irresponsible forum members who have finally jailbreaked their iPhone and feel that that all must do this!
    • even though it is fully unknown (to even them) what insecurities they have Allowed their iPhone to be vulnerable to
This being ignorant to Apple's recommendations of Not doing this.

Apple provide 650,000 Apps to do just about everything you want.
ALL of these apps are tried and tested and secure.
Absolutely zero jailbroken apps (and the firmware itself) have anything close to this. In actual fact they are the apps (and firmware) that have been rejected, or not yet certified by Apple.

It is the owners risk and they need to be fully informed by someone responsible, which seems difficult to find these days in 2011.

Firstly thankyou to the members here who continually quote me, even though they are replying to my post directly before theirs! Strange but their choice to double up on what I've written to help others.

Since all (support?) here are all for new iPhone users to replacing their firmware to an unsupported non official iPhone software (firmware, being the base platform of the iPhone operating system). Then I can only conclude that they:
  • are not concerned or responsible enough to warn users that 'firmware' upgrades require special care
  • are not advising users of warranty or killing their iPhone fully and subsequently requiring other Apps (non supported again!) to hopefully repair their broken iPhone
  • are in the cloud of irresponsible forum members who have finally jailbreaked their iPhone and feel that that all must do this!
    • even though it is fully unknown (to even them) what insecurities they have Allowed their iPhone to be vulnerable to

Absolutely zero jailbroken apps (and the firmware itself) have anything close to this. In actual fact they are the apps (and firmware) that have been rejected, or not yet certified by Apple.

It is the owners risk and they need to be fully informed by someone responsible, which seems difficult to find these days in 2011.

i agree!!!

you know i used to jailbreak all the time then i stopped for a while because of the fact i never liked waiting for new jailbreaks and there is never a way to save the cydia apps, well there was not..

but 99% on people here rely on jailbreak and will refuse to upgrade if there is no jailbreak for that firmware.. jailbreaking is completely safe and a simple restore means you can take it back to the apple store(not that you will ever need to), jailbreaking gives you the freedom to put what you want on the phone, really customise the look of your phone and do so much more, just look at the apps phil announces in the news section and they are really good, simple things like sending files over bluetooth or having sbsettings which is a very handy tool. or My3g that enabled you to do anything over the 3g network or have ringtones over 30 seconds and change your sms tone simple things that i am sure many people dont care about that apple stubbornly refuses to add.

i change the slide to unlock or the sound it makes when i unlock my phone and re lock it or even the way the icons move across the screen, there is even apps so i can add as many files and folders or icons in the doc as i want, i can ssh into my iphone and delete those crappy default apps that apple seem to want me to have even though i hate it and will never use it.. stocks? weather??? what do i care about them lol i should have the freedom to do what i want with my phone..

jailbreaking opens the iphones wings and though i agree with you some apps like winterboard and video themes can greatly reduce battery life, jailbreaking is 100% safe and there are no risks, unlock on the other hand does but i am sure you wont be needing it.

you sound like you work for apple btw ;p

the app store apps dont do everything, there is a lot of good apps and i have paid for them but the jailbreak apps are trusted apps as well, some times apps get through the the app store that arent 100% working and do harm to your iphone so the app store isent 100% and apps do get past them which is even worse...

if you look at the figures for cydia and jailbreak apps how many millions is made and how many thousands each dev makes. and especially from trusted sources which is all thats added to cydia unless you go and add un trusted sources yourself.. all the apps are tested they work, repos like bigboss or zodttds one they are 100% trusted and work some times better then the app store ones do and apps like winterboard always work with every new firmware..

there is also now a way to backup jailbreak apps..

and let me tell you i always used to jailbreak since 2007 on every iphone and never had a problem well apart from the 3gs that i never wanted to buy, but i got fed up of doing it since i heavily relied on all the jailbreak apps that should of been in the iphone in the first place, jailbreakers get security they get functions that apple take 100 years to add like copy paste or simple functions like video recording and taking screen shots, you know you used to have to jailbreak in order to do that stuff..? and you know apple got the idea of app store from the jailbreakers? they also go and see what apps are popular so they can add themselves later on..

If you look at my earlier posts at this forum i was anti jailbreak because i got fed up of having to wait for jb apps all the time and a new jb for that version, like some apps like logoMe where i was able to change the boot logo never got ported to newer firmware and now there is just so many apps i jailbreak for i am not sure i could go not with out again now..

some people do have problems i am not saying there is never people who dont but it never "breaks" your iphone, that is one thing that never happens, nothing a restore cant fix any way ;)

Last edited:
you know i used to jailbreak all the time then i stopped for a while because of the fact i never liked waiting for new jailbreaks and there is never a way to save the cydia apps, well there was not..

but 99% on people here rely on jailbreak and will refuse to upgrade if there is no jailbreak for that firmware.. jailbreaking is completely safe and a simple restore means you can take it back to the apple store(not that you will ever need to), jailbreaking gives you the freedom to put what you want on the phone, really customise the look of your phone and do so much more, just look at the apps phil announces in the news section and they are really good, simple things like sending files over bluetooth or having sbsettings which is a very handy tool. or My3g that enabled you to do anything over the 3g network or have ringtones over 30 seconds and change your sms tone simple things that i am sure many people dont care about that apple stubbornly refuses to add.

i change the slide to unlock or the sound it makes when i unlock my phone and re lock it or even the way the icons move across the screen, there is even apps so i can add as many files and folders or icons in the doc as i want, i can ssh into my iphone and delete those crappy default apps that apple seem to want me to have even though i hate it and will never use it.. stocks? weather??? what do i care about them lol i should have the freedom to do what i want with my phone..

jailbreaking opens the iphones wings and though i agree with you some apps like winterboard and video themes can greatly reduce battery life, jailbreaking is 100% safe and there are no risks, unlock on the other hand does but i am sure you wont be needing it.

you sound like you work for apple btw ;p

the app store apps dont do everything, there is a lot of good apps and i have paid for them but the jailbreak apps are trusted apps as well, some times apps get through the the app store that arent 100% working and do harm to your iphone so the app store isent 100% and apps do get past them which is even worse...

if you look at the figures for cydia and jailbreak apps how many millions is made and how many thousands each dev makes. and especially from trusted sources which is all thats added to cydia unless you go and add un trusted sources yourself.. all the apps are tested they work, repos like bigboss or zodttds one they are 100% trusted and work some times better then the app store ones do and apps like winterboard always work with every new firmware..

there is also now a way to backup jailbreak apps..

and let me tell you i always used to jailbreak since 2007 on every iphone and never had a problem well apart from the 3gs that i never wanted to buy, but i got fed up of doing it since i heavily relied on all the jailbreak apps that should of been in the iphone in the first place, jailbreakers get security they get functions that apple take 100 years to add like copy paste or simple functions like video recording and taking screen shots, you know you used to have to jailbreak in order to do that stuff..? and you know apple got the idea of app store from the jailbreakers? they also go and see what apps are popular so they can add themselves later on..

If you look at my earlier posts at this forum i was anti jailbreak because i got fed up of having to wait for jb apps all the time and a new jb for that version, like some apps like logoMe where i was able to change the boot logo never got ported to newer firmware and now there is just so many apps i jailbreak for i am not sure i could go not with out again now..

some people do have problems i am not saying there is never people who dont but it never "breaks" your iphone, that is one thing that never happens, nothing a restore cant fix any way ;)
Look, i will not give you +1 for this but +5. I'm not english native speaker if not i would have mentioned all these to him. But all my thinking about jailbreak are mentioned in your post just as if i told you words by words what to write, fact which prove again that not only you or me think about jailbreak this way but many many others. And like your post saying if everything get messed up, a restore via iTune and "chouette" you are good to go visit apple store and your warranty is still valid as apple will never know that the phone break jail before.
About apps in apple application store, network doctor is one of the real baaaaad applications i've ever spend my money to buy from the apple apllication store, you can just go to the store and read the review of that app, i didn't read the review and just bought it, after when trying to run it, i realised that it was a scarm and that network doctor isn't for free and yet apple allow it to be there, the same goes to a download file application, i don't recall the name, i remove it second after purchasing it, the one costed me 3$ i mean 2.99$ by the way, so who say that there is no crap in the apple app store???
To finish siding you, here i post for the thread owner some basic pictures of what a jailbreaked phone can looks like.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302429941.374560.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302429964.472932.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302429982.966610.jpg
Hey and you can even do much much more than this with a jailbreak phone, you can even remotely control your tv, despite what brand of tv you are having, i control a chinese tv volume up down chanels changes etc... With my iPhone, and yet i can go visit apple when ever i will face a hardware trouble as far as i can just restore it to factory restore and as long as my warranty will still be valid.

Also its one thing to "Educate" people about jailbreaking and its another to spread lies and propaganda about it to try scare people from doing it...

I am not saying no one ever has problems because that would be a lie.. BUT what you fail to mention is people who have no idea what they are doing and try to jailbreak either using tools that does not support the firmware they are trying to jailbreak ( and yes so many do that because there are so many scam sites that sell tools or host un official tools, and claim it works with newer firmware when it does not and people pay and fall for these scams) of course they will end up with problems but it NEVER "breaks" the iphone like you claim Kim, educate people tell people there could be problems but dont lie about it.. even when people use wrong tools to jailbreak because they have not read up about it properly or are given wrong information they panic and think their phone is broken when they get stuck at the apple logo and it wont go past that, when all you need to do is restore and make sure you have your iphone backed up in itunes.. you need to know who to trust which sites to believe and you need to have some idea of what your doing, otherwise jailbreaking is not for you and dont bother trying.

back in 2007 a Guy called Zibri released a crappy tool to jailbreak that was very bad for the iphone and did "brick" loads of devices and the proper devs and a lot of people said to stay away from it but people ignored it and did it any way, he could not properly code and made a mess of things and while he was at it he gave jailbreaking a bad name..

thats why you see references saying its 2011, because jailbreaking is in the hands of cleaver people who probably know a lot more then some employees who work at apple ;)

Themes with out jailbreak? more like wallpapers you cant customise your phone at all and have themes worth having..

some times apple have had bugs in their firmware that was fixed properly in jailbreak apps.. some one who remembers this on the dev team blog when it says about "jailbreakers having their cake and eating it too"?

of course if you have a video wallpaper the battery wont last as long, but at least i have the option to do as i wish with MY device.. why should apple tell me what to install on it?

give facts but dont lie...

i agree with your post though that people should be warned and told to be careful about who they trust and what websites to trust, and there has been many post warning people not to pay for jailbreak or fall for these scams and also who to trust on twitter ..etc, so dont think that nothing has been said at all and that jailbreaking only has problems mainly because people jailbreak and really dont know what they are doing and dont ask enough questions.

also some people just jailbreak to unlock rather then use jailbreak apps and dont care about jb rather just to use their sim with any network, though i got mine sim free and never understand why people get a phone locked and rely on unlock tools, that is not good. just to save a few hundred $ ;)

very nice Bab... and let me add a few more pics to that...

from my iphone to my macbook pro.. oh yes and using bluetooth Celest app that lets me send files over bluetooth ;).. its stupid really, my macbook pro can send files over bluetooth but where the hell would i officially send them? all idevices dont support bluetooth send/receive officially :S

IMG_0197.png
-

God i love bluetooth when its not crippled ;p some are happy using email or 3g or wifi and other ways to share pics and other files but not all my friends have smart phones or use email.. and i still love bluetooth ;p

IMG_0196.png

^^ :D

IMG_0195.png

^^ here is a bunch of extra settings from my jailbreak apps..

Facepush - ability to facetime over 3g network.

FreeSync, the ability to use the device when it syncs with itunes. which normally the phone does not let you do.

infinidock and folders .. the name says it all ;)

My strings.. i love this one as well, you see all that slide to unlock and to cancel..etc, basically lets you put what you want..

quickreply, ability to answer sms with out having to exit the app your currently running..

safari download manager, ability to download files in safari

IMG_0194.png

^^ ifilie allows me to browse my iphones files and change and do what i want, delete official apps or add my own ring tones and other files that really does come in handy. i can cheat on games i download from the app store as well lol..

IMG_0193.png

^^ this is another MUST jailbreak app, with a stroke of a finger i can enable or dissable things that usually i would have to go into the settings and find.. a time saver and so much easier, when i jailbreak this is one of the first apps i install..

IMG_0192.png

^^ notice the dock i have more then the amount of apps allowed..

IMG_0191.png

^^ may look funny but this app allows me to change the way the iphone spring board icons scroll off the screen.. i did not think i would like it but now i really do like it..

IMG_0190.png

^^ notice the slide to unlock and the carrier name is not slide to unlock or an official carrier name

btw sorry to the owner of this thread... who we dont even know if they want to jb their device lol but these are the facts and jb for some is a waste of time and all the abilities some just dont care about but trust me when you do jailbreak and try all the features you wont want to go back to a non jailbroken state on your iphone..

Another picture of my jailbreakedphone:
7b797889-abca-077a.jpg

I love that iFile more than the phone it self, god you can navigate what i'm i saying... You can swim inside the phone as if you are browsing folders in your computer. Kudos go to the one who made it.

Last edited:
So now you know what to do if you really want to theme your phone, JAILBREAK and just like any other technology, jailbreak might turn out bad for you just like the origina iOS also turning bad for some people. But the probabilities for jailbreak to turn out bad is small if you do everything correct, and it doesn't matter when jailbreaking turn to be bad for you, either while jailbreaking or after jailbreaking, the magic of iTune is set on a way that it will always save your phone back to factory restore. But like any legal about jailbreak saying, do this jailbreak at your own risks. The choice is all yours. And i will be glad to advice if i can on any issue you may enconter with your phone, jailbreaked or not jailbreaked.