What's new

iPhone 3gs Safari Won't Open

TZHunter

Reaction score
Hi, I was recently given a used iphone 3gs, 16gb. It was factory unlocked but also jailbroken. Its running the most recent apple software. I didn't want the jailbreak, so attempted to uninstall cydia and all the related jailbreak apps. (adblocker, etc). Well, now everything works (phone, wifi, etc) except 2 things I've found out so far: 1) it will not open and run Safari....if I try to run Safari, after about 1-2 seconds it will close and return to the main iphone screen with icons, etc 2) iTunes will not recognize the device when connected to my computer (no device will ever show up).

I know the wifi is working, because I've downloaded the google app and can run that and it works fine, weather app updates fine, just not Safari for some reason. I've tried resetting all settings and that doesn't change anything. .. . I've tried to "Erase all content and settings" from the Reset in General Settings, but when I do this, it keeps going for hours (with small circle spinning) and I've gotten impatient and quit it. I couldn't believe it would take over 3 hours. There is almost nothing stored on the iphone.

Any ideas on how to get Safari working again, and how to get iTunes to recognize it when plugged in? I feel it has something to do with it originally being jailbroken, but don't know enough to proceed.

Thanks for your help !