What's new

Browser for 3GS

tns1

Reaction score
3GS, IOS 6.1.6
This an old phone, but the voice, text, email, maps all work just fine for me. The only thing that is NOT very usable is Safari. It crashes too often, even after resetting and clearing history, etc. Is there a more stable browser for this old model? Every browser I see in the app store only supports IOS 7 and up.

The biggest problem is that the processor in the iPhone 3GS is very slow by modern standards and only has 256MB of RAM. Modern websites tax this to the max and beyond. Even if you found a third party browser that would work in iOS 6.1.6, you'd still have the hardware limitations to deal with.
To maximize the available performance you could try closing all other apps when browsing. That would free up as much RAM as possible.

Have you considered upgrading to a more modern iPhone?

The biggest problem is that the processor in the iPhone 3GS is very slow by modern standards and only has 256MB of RAM. Modern websites tax this to the max and beyond. Even if you found a third party browser that would work in iOS 6.1.6, you'd still have the hardware limitations to deal with.
To maximize the available performance you could try closing all other apps when browsing. That would free up as much RAM as possible.

Have you considered upgrading to a more modern iPhone?

Thanks for the tip on closing the apps. I had never done this so many apps were open. It did make it a bit snappier but didn't solve the crashing issue with Safari. The phone works very well for everything else. I'll replace it eventually but I was hoping a newer browser with better support would give better results. Nothing to recommend?

Thanks for the tip on closing the apps. I had never done this so many apps were open. It did make it a bit snappier but didn't solve the crashing issue with Safari. The phone works very well for everything else. I'll replace it eventually but I was hoping a newer browser with better support would give better results. Nothing to recommend?
The problem with the crashing is caused by the limited RAM trying to deal with a modern website. This is a hardware limitation of your iPhone and can't be fixed by using another browser. I haven't used any browsers other than Safari so I can't give a recommendation.

What I did was to use iFile to edit/upload a new hosts file which added the entries from mvps.org. This is something I use on all my PCs to block ads and malware sites. I have only browsed for a short time, but I have no crashing so far. It may add few seconds to the page load, but at least it is functional again.