What's new

3GS Mail, Safari, Calendar, Weather, Maps not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenj65

Reaction score
Noob here. Got a hand-me-down 3GS. Had to wait 2 months until my AT&T contract ended. In the meantime I played with the phone (which had been completely reset to factory) and found I could make it functional on Wi-Fi. I installed Gmail, Opera browser, an alternate Calendar app that synched with my Google Calendar, an alternate weather app and the new Google Maps app when it came out. All worked find on Wi-Fi. I even installed Google Voice and was able to make phone calls while on wi-fi!

While waiting I also checked out alternate, lower cost carriers to replace AT&T and settled on Consumer Cellular since they use the AT&T network so the coverage should be the same as I am used to. A complicating factor: although I am a retired IT guy and know my way around PCs and such this is the first 'Smart Phone' I have played with. I THOUGHT I would have to unlock the phone to change carriers - and then I read that I would have to jailbreak the phone in order to unlock it. So I did! Turns out going with Consumer Cellular I didn't need to do either. I was able to go to Radio Shack or Sears and buy a new CC SIM card for ten dollars - and they credited me for that purchase!

Once the AT&T contract expired I called CC and activated the 3GS. The phone function has been working fine for several weeks. One glitch - the first rep at CC didn't set me up for data so, even though I was on a data plan I wasn't able to access data away from a wi-fi connection. Another call to CC and someone finished the setup. (APN or something)

Which at long last brings me to the question. Even though I removed all the apps I had played with in the 2 months when the phone wasn't activated, the built-in apps Mail, Safari, Calendar, Weather and Maps still do not work. What's up with that?

Even with the Gmail app removed the built-in Mail, Safari, Calendar and Maps apps just open up to white background screen. The Weather app opens up for just a moment then quits. These apps can of course be replaced with the alternates I was playing with but why don't the included ones work? No amount of fiddling with the Settings seems to get them working.

Additional note about the 'complicating factor' - the 3GS still has the Cydia application on it which likely means it was successfully jailbroken but tapping on it causes it to open and then shut immediately, making it useless. I think this puppy is going to require advice from far more knowledgeable people than myself! Hopefully someone can help.

Hi, welcome to iPhoneForums. I'm Jon.

Please take some time to peruse the IPF Rules
: iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

Here are some guides that may suit your needs.

iPhone Tips & Tricks

What is jailbreaking?

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sur
e

Understanding and Utilizing RedSn0w

Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on this iOS/Jailbreak Status Thread

My particular field of expertise is iOS Jailbreaking and Unlocking.

Ahh, the mystical semi-tethered jailbreak. Don't fret Ken, an easily resolved problem. The jailbreak you have on your phone is a semi-tethered jailbreak, meaning it has to go through a special boot process in order to get everything running again. But since you're not looking to jailbreak the 3GS, you can restore to the latest iOS. For jailbroken devices, we recommend that users not simply press the Restore button on iTunes, but rather to perform a DFU or Device Firmware Upgrade restore, where you'll need your device to be placed into DFU mode, which is similar to Recovery Mode.

Download the latest iOS here that Apple is signing below

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/041-6493.20130128.sh4rG/iPhone2,1_6.1_10B141_Restore.ipsw

Now put your device into DFU mode. To do so, open up your device to the lockscreen or the Springboard. Hold both the power and home button simultaneously for 10-11 seconds, ignoring the power off bar that shows up. After 10-11 seconds, release the sleep/power button but hold the home button for another 5-10 seconds. If you're on a PC, you'll hear the little tone that signifies a hardware being plugged in, and iTunes (if you didn't turn this feature off) will pop up saying it's recognized a device in Recovery Mode. The screen should be black.

A more detailed guide is available here by one of our mods Leigh(@f4780y) here

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/dfu-mode-dummies-16020/

Once you're in DFU mode, shift+click the Restore button, and it should prompt you to search for a file. Point it to the file you downloaded above, and it'll start to restore your device. Note that before doing this, back up anything important like contacts and such. Once the restore is completed, you can restore from the back up so that your contacts and such and such are back on your device..

To set the APN setting once again for Consumer Cellular, you can refer to the following link to do so to find out what you have to fill out and such, probably the same thing that the rep you called asked you to fill out.

Mobile Carrier Settings for Consumer Cellular - United States

And also, please do note that as of Saturday the 26th, unlocking devices without the consent of carriers has been made illegal, meaning discussions on unlocking using IMEI methods, software unlocking through Cydia, or any other non-carrier-approved methods are halted until the owners of the forum decides on a course of action on how we will proceed with discussions on unlocking, or until the DMCA re-instates the "Freedom of Unlock" decree :)

Last edited:
Thank you willerz2,

I took some time read the articles in your reply. It seems too easy to get into trouble! I placed my 3GS in DFU mode and followed your procedure, "Once you're in DFU mode, shift+click the Restore button (presumably in iTunes), and it should prompt you to search for a file. Point it to the file you downloaded above, and it'll start to restore your device." I selected the 6.1 version you provided a link for and the upgrade began. However, after many minutes this error appeared:

The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (3194).
Note: I tried this several times, in Admin mode and I tried the upgrade option on the phone itself - same error.

[Here is the Apple support website webpage listing for error 3194]
Additional Information
Contact Apple

If you have performed all of the steps in this article and you are still experiencing a restore issue, contact Apple or your wireless carrier, whichever provides phone support for your device.

To find Apple's contact information in your country, refer to Contacting Apple for Support and Service. If you use an iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS, you can find your wireless carrier at Locating iPhone wireless carriers. Wherever you live in the world, you can find your iPhone service options at the Online Service Assistant.

You may have questions about servicing your iPhone, and you can find answers to frequent questions in this FAQ.

If there is an Apple Retail Store nearby, find the closest store and then make a reservation through the online Apple Store Concierge. Reservations are strongly recommended.

My phone was upgraded last fall before I received it to ios 6.0.1

With this failure my next guess was to try using redsn0w/Extras/Select IPSW to do the upgrade but redsn0w does not support this newest ios 6.1. I have the iPhone2,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw file downloaded from my earlier JB experiments - should I try using that - or download an ios 6.0.1 ipsw file which matches my current ios version?

Last edited:
3194 is a host issue. Remove any gs.apple.com lines from your host file and delete the host.umbrella file as well. Flush your DNS and retry. Make sure that iTunes is closed and the process is ended before doing so.

3194 is a host issue. Remove any gs.apple.com lines from your host file and delete the host.umbrella file as well. Flush your DNS and retry. Make sure that iTunes is closed and the process is ended before doing so.

I successfully removed the line gs.apple.com from the Hosts file, deleted the host.umbrella file and flushed DNS cache. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE LAST LINE!

iTunes is closed and there are no instances recognized in Task Manager. NOW WHAT?

My 3GS remains in DFU mode. Do I use redsn0w to update to ios 6.1? [noob:clueless] :confused:

Flush your cache. For Windows, go to Start > Cmd > type in 'ipconfig /flushdns'. Then restore using iTunes.

1600 is a driver issue. In most cases, users facing 1600 errors opt for the easier solution, which is to use another computer. Alternatively you can uninstall all USB port drivers with the iPhone unplugged, reboot, replug, retry.

Success!

I used a different usb port and the 3GS upgraded to ios 6.1; restored from iTunes and my data apn was still there. Mail, Safari, Calendar, Weather and Maps apps are working correctly.

Thank you again, willerz2!

No problem. And with the problem resolved, I'll go ahead and close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.