What's new

iPad not in the dictionary???

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i was playing Scrabble on my iPad and tried to put in the word iPad,it declined it with message that it isn't in the dictionary,maybe it hasn't been out long enough yet,seems ironic playing the game on the device that it won't accept.

i was playing Scrabble on my iPad and tried to put in the word iPad,it declined it with message that it isn't in the dictionary,maybe it hasn't been out long enough yet,seems ironic playing the game on the device that it won't accept.

It is a proper noun.

It is a proper noun.
yes it should be acceptable,going slightly OT here but it won't accept the word rape either,Rape can be a yellow crop in a field,don't think the capitalisation matters.

yes it should be acceptable,going slightly OT here but it won't accept the word rape either,Rape can be a yellow crop in a field,don't think the capitalisation matters.

Scrabble rules don't allow for proper nouns. But yes I am aware that Hasbro and EA agreed to remove certain offensive words to appease the politically correct.

Scrabble rules don't allow for proper nouns. But yes I am aware that Hasbro and EA agreed to remove certain offensive words to appease the politically correct.
actually the rules have been changed to allow proper nouns,as for removing "offensive" words thats just crazy,people can think for themselves after all.

Last edited:
actually the rules have been changed to allow proper nouns,as for removing "offensive" words thats just crazy,people can think for themselves after all.

There is the issue! You are looking at it from a Mattel ownership standpoint, not a Hasbro one. I don't believe Hasbro adopted that change for their software applications.

There is the issue! You are looking at it from a Mattel ownership standpoint, not a Hasbro one. I don't believe Hasbro adopted that change for their software applications.
its about time they did then don't you think?........it would seem brand names,places and names are now allowed,i noticed that the cpu puts names in and did wonder.

Last edited:
I decided to dig deeper into this mystery since the Scrabble app was last updated Dec 21st, 2011.

Interesting findings. Mattel owns the Scrabble rights for just about everywhere it seems save the US. Mattel did in fact add proper nouns but only in a variant called Scrabble Trickster. Trickster hasn't been released in the US. So the Hasbro version of the game will probably never allow proper nouns on the iPhone/iPad app unless they adopt the same rules as Trickster or they produce a new app.

We have Rape around here. It's beautiful when in full bloom.

iHolophyte

I decided to dig deeper into this mystery since the Scrabble app was last updated Dec 21st, 2011.

Interesting findings. Mattel owns the Scrabble rights for just about everywhere it seems save the US. Mattel did in fact add proper nouns but only in a variant called Scrabble Trickster. Trickster hasn't been released in the US. So the Hasbro version of the game will probably never allow proper nouns on the iPhone/iPad app unless they adopt the same rules as Trickster or they produce a new app.
hmm thanks Skull,as you say interesting.

ipad isnt in a proper dictionary because its a company product name - not a word - so it doesnt belong in a dictionary....?

ipad isnt in a proper dictionary because its a company product name - not a word - so it doesnt belong in a dictionary....?
Apparently names are allowed,i suspect you,re probably right though.

Be interesting if proper dictionarys did company names, cause QANTAS would have to be corrected for proper english? and respelled to QUANTAS lols (which wouldnt work as QANTAS stands for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services)

I think in proper "old school" scrabble rules - if it wasnt in the dictionary it didnt count (which meant product names/companys couldnt be used)
Guess it comes down to what rules the app wants to make itself about that kind of stuff

Last edited:
Be interesting if proper dictionarys did company names, cause QANTAS would have to be corrected for proper english? and respelled to QUANTAS lols (which wouldnt work as QANTAS stands for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services)

I think in proper "old school" scrabble rules - if it wasnt in the dictionary it didnt count (which meant product names/companys couldnt be used)
Guess it comes down to what rules the app wants to make itself about that kind of stuff
True,if you,re playing on a board game you can make up your own rules,not so with an app.