What's new

iOS 6.1 Upgrade

EWyatt

Reaction score
I haven't had THAT much experience with iPhone upgrades to the OS, so here goes. My iPhone 4 is at iOS 6. Will this upgrade to 6.1 completely remove and install version 6.1 or will it be an incremental addition to, or replacement of, files to the existing OS? I would hope it's the latter because gigabyte downloads are not fun.

Interestingly, I've read that both options are possible, depending.....

Thanks.

EWyatt said:
I haven't had THAT much experience with iPhone upgrades to the OS, so here goes. My iPhone 4 is at iOS 6. Will this upgrade to 6.1 completely remove and install version 6.1 or will it be an incremental addition to, or replacement of, files to the existing OS? I would hope it's the latter because gigabyte downloads are not fun.

Interestingly, I've read that both options are possible, depending.....

Thanks.

If you do the update OTA, all that's downloaded and installed is normally the changes from the previous version. If you do the update through iTunes on your computer the entire iOS version is downloaded and installed.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

It's pretty fast when you're syncing back the stuff through your computer. I've tried it once on my work 4S. 41 gigs of data took roughly 1 and a half hours. Remember that the write speed on the iPhone hdd isn't exactly the best, but not the worse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

If you do the update OTA, all that's downloaded and installed is normally the changes from the previous version. If you do the update through iTunes on your computer the entire iOS version is downloaded and installed.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator
Thanks, scifan. That's exactly what I needed. And..... continuing this for a bit longer, suppose I skip this, and the next upgrade, will the eventual upgrade I accomplish much later contain those I didn't accomplish, or will I have to perform each one separately to catch up to the latest (future) version. I'm thinking I won't.

EWyatt said:
Thanks, scifan. That's exactly what I needed. And..... continuing this for a bit longer, suppose I skip this, and the next upgrade, will the eventual upgrade I accomplish much later contain those I didn't accomplish, or will I have to perform each one separately to catch up to the latest (future) version. I'm thinking I won't.

You don't have to download all the intervening stages separately, that's done automatically.

Think of upgrading iOS the same as upgrading your OS on your PC or Mac. You can jump from Windows XP to Windows 7 or 8 (assuming your specs allow it), or in the Mac point of view, you can upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. The most extreme case I've ever dealt with, was jumping from 3.1.3 to 6.0.1 a few weeks ago. That's probably one of the biggest jumps that you'll ever see. It went just fine. Basically restores delete everything off of your device and replaces it completely with something new (unless you're performing an OTA update)

Excellent, guys. Thanks bunches!

Think of upgrading iOS the same as upgrading your OS on your PC or Mac. You can jump from Windows XP to Windows 7 or 8 (assuming your specs allow it), or in the Mac point of view, you can upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. The most extreme case I've ever dealt with, was jumping from 3.1.3 to 6.0.1 a few weeks ago. That's probably one of the biggest jumps that you'll ever see. It went just fine. Basically restores delete everything off of your device and replaces it completely with something new (unless you're performing an OTA update)

Not trying to debate but going from xp to 7 is light night and day. 5.11 to 6.1 IMO isnt

You can think of it as installing a fresh OS on a freshly built rig then....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

yeah,i think so,Basically restores delete everything off of your device and replaces it completely with something new,thanks
1.gif
I've done my update OTA. Would it have been better to do it via itunes? And if, can I do a restore on itunes? Or is it ok the way I've done it. What is the difference? When I connect to my pc today and check for update via itunes, it says I'm on the newest version. Should I restore or is it ok. I have no problem with my phone. Battery with 3G on is about 2 - 3 % more than when 3G is off. With 6.1 as well.

The difference between an OTA and an iTunes restore is the APTickets, which are another form of blobs. OTA ones will have a difference signature for it's APTickets compared to iTunes, so when you restore in the future when the iOS is no longer being signed, you can run into problems trying to retain your iOS by re-restoring it.

The difference between an OTA and an iTunes restore is the APTickets, which are another form of blobs. OTA ones will have a difference signature for it's APTickets compared to iTunes, so when you restore in the future when the iOS is no longer being signed, you can run into problems trying to retain your iOS by re-restoring it.
So what you say is, my OTA upgrade should be ok, restore is not the better option. In future I will rather do my updates via itunes.

You can restore as many times as you want. It doesn't matter when or where you do it as long as you have the blobs to do it for an unsigned iOS. If you plan on jailbreaking or you plan on restoring your device using SHSH blobs in the future, an OTA update will bring problems to A5+ devices and will be annoying for pre-A5 devices

I need to know this:

I'm on 6.0 iPhone 4S JB and have my SHSH blobs saved.
If I upgrade to 6.1.2 and I see horrible battery life and Wifi issues, can I downgrade to 6.0?
I have done it in the past (from 5.1.1 to 5.0) long ago, is this possible still?